TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a new pair of Camburgs last week and installed them...I left 2.5 inches of thread showing between the top and the collar that you adjust the shocks with.

This week I noticed a noise when hitting potholes, took it to a mechanic friend of mine and had him take a look at it.... You can shake the truck and it sounds like it is limiting out... you know the end of the shock, fully extended...

I talked to Demello he was stumped.... then I wrote Camburg and they said it was because I have NO Nitrogen in my shocks....

#1. I thought they came with Nitrogen?!?!?
#2. How can I check it? Same as air pressure (i am waiting to be flamed if it is that easy)
#3. Where in Houston, Tx can i find a place to fill them if they don't have nitrogen in them?
#4. why me, this is a series of issues that I have had... either my truck is damned or I am

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
mayhem said:
So I got a new pair of Camburgs last week and installed them...I left 2.5 inches of thread showing between the top and the collar that you adjust the shocks with.

This week I noticed a noise when hitting potholes, took it to a mechanic friend of mine and had him take a look at it.... You can shake the truck and it sounds like it is limiting out... you know the end of the shock, fully extended...

I talked to Demello he was stumped.... then I wrote Camburg and they said it was because I have NO Nitrogen in my shocks....

#1. I thought they came with Nitrogen?!?!?
#2. How can I check it? Same as air pressure (i am waiting to be flamed if it is that easy)
#3. Where in Houston, Tx can i find a place to fill them if they don't have nitrogen in them?
#4. why me, this is a series of issues that I have had... either my truck is damned or I am
are the actually bottoming out? or, is there just a clunking sound when you hit a pothole? If the latter, try this: reach in there and wack the coil spring trying to duplicate the sound. If you get the clunk your springs are tagging the shock body (slightly warped coil). This is pretty normal. you can try cranking them down and rotating the coil 180* and it will work for a while but the 'clunk' will just come back. It doesn't hurt anything, just annoying

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NO, NO

they aren't bottoming out....
If I pull on the front of my bumper you can hear it hitting full extension.....
I'm assuming the camburg knows what they are talking about but I really haven't been steared straight in a while

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
mayhem said:
NO, NO

they aren't bottoming out....
If I pull on the front of my bumper you can hear it hitting full extension.....
I'm assuming the camburg knows what they are talking about but I really haven't been steared straight in a while
then you must have them cranked up just short of max to do that. In other words, you have no down-travel left.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
None, Nada, Nothing

No, i only have 2.5 inches of thread showing, i have about another 4 inches to go... far from overboard

Just heard form CAMBURG, again, they do not ship their stuff with Nitrogen, it's a liability.......

Therefore... I need to hear form some Houstonians to find a nitrogen fill-up

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
mayhem said:
No, i only have 2.5 inches of thread showing, i have about another 4 inches to go... far from overboard

Just heard form CAMBURG, again, they do not ship their stuff with Nitrogen, it's a liability.......

Ah...it would have been nice to have known that when you got them ;)

you usually have to remove them to get them charged at a shop.

check the Tx board for someone with a N2 tank and 200# regulator.

·
Administrator
18,267 Posts
mayhem said:

You could always drive out to So-Cal and I can charge them for ya! :D

Check with local motorcycle shops. They usually have the equipment if you can't a member with a Nitrogen tank set-up

·
wut?
1,466 Posts
mayhem said:

A motorcycle shop should be able to change the shocks for ya.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ass Clowns

Yeah the motorcycle shops have been about as helpful as a bicycle shop.... The guys at Stubbs cycles actually told me that he thought that Autozone or Pepboys would be able to do it... WTF ARE YOU KIDDING

Honda on Bingle said I needed to take them off my truck to bring them in and everybody else just said, "I dunno"

This is ridiculous, I am really pissed of, I paid $950 for a pair of shocks that sound like they are going to pop apart each time I go over something....

And NOBODY has told me if 2.5 inches of thread between the collar and the top of the shock is right, or at least they don't bother answering the question....

Photos and more ranting to come, I know I am a newbie, but I am not a moron

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
ShowStop said:
You could always drive out to So-Cal and I can charge them for ya! :D

Check with local motorcycle shops. They usually have the equipment if you can't a member with a Nitrogen tank set-up
Damn is that why mine are doing it too? and I picked mine up right from Jerry's hands.. no mention that they didn't have Nitro in them.. I was also thinking they were toping out (no sway bar, uniballs...) Only my drivers side does it.. I'm going to have to hunt you down then..:D

Besides, I think you wanted one of my topo disks right? Trade ya for a recharge!!! LOL..

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
mayhem said:
And NOBODY has told me if 2.5 inches of thread between the collar and the top of the shock is right, or at least they don't bother answering the question....

Photos and more ranting to come, I know I am a newbie, but I am not a moron
I've got more than that on mine.. (I've got a winch bumper) For each vehical it's diffrent - Idealy when stock you measure from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender in the middle.. Then install the new coils, and adjust them until the same measurment is 2.5" higher than the old, and the same on both sides... now you are at 2.5" of lift.. The height adjustment measurement on the coils does not directly relate to how much lift you get, since the are mounted inboard of the actual wheel, and diffrent weights of each vehical (double cabs weigh more than std cabs, and whould need the coils cranked a bit more to achive the same lift) New coils will settle a bit, so I usualy wait a week and pound them a time or two and then do the finaly adjustment... The 2.5's have been pretty good, and have not sagged since then.. but I do have the same problem you do on the drivers side.. sounds like I need nitro too!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Any idea of the if the Fabtech Performance shocks are shipped without the nitrogen? I hear a slight clunk when I hit potholes as well. I don't think it sounds like they are bottoming out. So maybe it's just the "clunk" that hytenor mentioned.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Their has been some confusion here. All Camburg 2.5 Tacoma/Tundra coilovers are charged with 200psi of nitrogen from the factory. You do not need to charge them prior to installing them. Regular Sway-Away shocks are not charged with nitrogen from the factory.

To me it sounds like you have too much pre-load on the springs and the clunking noise is from the suspension fully drooping out when going over bumps because the suspension is set too high in its cycle. Usually we have 2.5" of thread showing on a quad cab Tundra with a V8. That weights considerably more than your Tacoma. Loosen the spanner nut and take some pre-load off to bring the truck down. That should solve your problem. What did the top of your fender measure when it was stock? What does it measure now?

As far as the nitrogen is concerned any off-road motorcycle shop has nitrogen and can charge them on the truck in about 2 minutes. I'm not sure what part of texas you are in but Pro-Action suspension in Austin TX has nitro.

Are you using aftermarket upper arm? Is it 2wd or 4wd? Give me a call at the shop and we'll get you dialed in. Trying to problem solve via email or online can be a little hard and take longer than needed.

- Scott @ Camburg Engineering
- 714-848-8880

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Tankota said:
Damn is that why mine are doing it too? and I picked mine up right from Jerry's hands.. no mention that they didn't have Nitro in them.. I was also thinking they were toping out (no sway bar, uniballs...) Only my drivers side does it.. I'm going to have to hunt you down then..:D

Besides, I think you wanted one of my topo disks right? Trade ya for a recharge!!! LOL..
what rate coils did you get with yours? I have SAWs with 675s and they handle all my front end armor just fine...'course I got the 4-banger ;)

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
hytenor said:
what rate coils did you get with yours? I have SAWs with 675s and they handle all my front end armor just fine...'course I got the 4-banger ;)
I've got the stock coil that ships with the 2.5's, I forgot what rating it was.. it has been handleing the weight as far as coil sag, etc, I just have to have them cranked up a bit more than usual..Maybe I should loose some armor.. LOL.. I've been very happy with the Camburgs except that clunk.. my old 2.0's I had the 675's, those did better than the orginal crap 650's that SAW shipped, they were my 3rd set of coils, The orginal coils SAW shiiped were replaced under warranty when they broke, and then when I rebuilt them last year I got the 675's.. Those were doing good until I got the 2.5's... I still have them, I need new heims but they are good to go as a spare set.. They are even running Amsoil shock oil.. LOL.. when I get the Tundra next year the 2.5's may go on it, and I'll put the 2.0's back on? Or go long travel or something.. I'm going to be the very last IFS rockcrawling hold out...:D

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Springer Closing Thoughts

I sent photos to Demello & Camburg...

2.5 inches of thread is too much, so my truck was lifted too high and I DID have Nitrogen in my shocks....

I figured it was my fault, just wanted to know where I screwed up....

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
mayhem said:
I sent photos to Demello & Camburg...

2.5 inches of thread is too much, so my truck was lifted too high and I DID have Nitrogen in my shocks....

I figured it was my fault, just wanted to know where I screwed up....

Glad you got the figured out the easy way. BTW with 2.5 of thread showing how much lift does that equal out to be?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
motoxscott said:
Their has been some confusion here. All Camburg 2.5 Tacoma/Tundra coilovers are charged with 200psi of nitrogen from the factory. You do not need to charge them prior to installing them. Regular Sway-Away shocks are not charged with nitrogen from the factory.

To me it sounds like you have too much pre-load on the springs and the clunking noise is from the suspension fully drooping out when going over bumps because the suspension is set too high in its cycle. Usually we have 2.5" of thread showing on a quad cab Tundra with a V8. That weights considerably more than your Tacoma. Loosen the spanner nut and take some pre-load off to bring the truck down. That should solve your problem. What did the top of your fender measure when it was stock? What does it measure now?

As far as the nitrogen is concerned any off-road motorcycle shop has nitrogen and can charge them on the truck in about 2 minutes. I'm not sure what part of texas you are in but Pro-Action suspension in Austin TX has nitro.

Are you using aftermarket upper arm? Is it 2wd or 4wd? Give me a call at the shop and we'll get you dialed in. Trying to problem solve via email or online can be a little hard and take longer than needed.

- Scott @ Camburg Engineering
- 714-848-8880
Scott, I would like to get some zerk fitting with the complatiable bushings for my control arms. They are squeeking like crazy. Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
465 Posts
Tankota said:
They are even running Amsoil shock oil.. LOL.. when I get the Tundra next year the 2.5's may go on it, and I'll put the 2.0's back on? Or go long travel or something.. I'm going to be the very last IFS rockcrawling hold out...:D
You getting a new tow rig?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts