TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I thought I would start a thread showing some pics of my Camburg install, mostly so I can ask the experienced guys questions and keep all the info in one post. Here are the specs:

2001 ext cab 4wd TRD
Camburg long travel kit, old style with upper ball joints
ORS manual hub conversion

Are you guys running swaybars? The Camburg kit has a tab for it but it looks like the swaybar will hit the tierod boot.

Reservoir mounts. I'm going to try mounting them behind the wheel to protect them from rocks etc. Hopefully the tire won't rub on them, but from looking at it in the garage I think it will clear.

Anyone else tie their brake line to the spindle gusset like this?

I also shimmed the bumpstops down about 1/4" using washers because I noticed most guys are running a spacer there. Does this sound right?

·
Banned
722 Posts
I don't have long travel but just looking I see that your current setup had the tire rubbing the frame right square in the middle of where you plan to mount the reservoir. I don't think you're going to have enough width to clear at full lock even w/ a lock travel. I'd bolt the tire up and cycle the suspension and turn the tire to find out.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I noticed that too... I cut a piece of tube 2.5" x 9" (same size as res) to tack up the res mounts, I think I'm going to pull the coilover tonight and clamp the tube in place of the res and cycle the suspension with the tire on. I was hoping that the extra 3.5" in width would be enough to clear a 2.5" reservoir. I also mounted it as high as possible, that should help. I've got my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know the torque spec for the four bolts that hold the steering knuckle to the bottom of the spindle? I couldn't find it in my manual. I have heard of them coming loose, should I locktite them?

·
Banned
722 Posts
Yes locktite them and the torque spec. is under lower ball joint in the susp. section. I can't recall it off the top of my head though.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called camburg and they said no swaybar and don't shim the bumpstops. I'll have to cycle the suspension and do final position of the bumpstops and limit straps once its running.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Yeah I don't run a sway bar since the TC kit doesn't have any tabs for it. No biggie, the body will roll but you'll stick nicely. Remember the limit straps stretch a little...like 10% roughly so measure wisely ;)

Also looks like you have SAW's they have little baby reservoirs so if you angle the end w/ the Schrader valve up a little that might help tire clearance, I don't know what size tires you're running but I'll guess 33x12.5

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FYI the reservoirs clear just fine. I set the coilovers with 5/8" of thread showing and damn does it ride nice!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got another question, details are in this thread:

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?p=829212#post829212

In short, I think the manual hub kit came with wheel bearings that are starting to go bad. Here are the options I came up with:

1. Swap the wheel bearings - PITA and costs $200 for bearings
2. Swap my stock Taco CV outers onto the Tundra shafts and go back to ADD - Doesn't look like this is possible
3. Buy new Tundra axles and mod them - still takes some effort and money

1 - 9 of 9 Posts