TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never painted a vehicle before so work with me....

Right now my 1989 is covered in grey primer and Its starting to get a few rust spots, so Im wondering if I can buy some sort of cheap primer to cover my truck in and then I was wondering if anyone had ideas as far as color choices that would look good on as far as camo patterns go, Im thinking flat black camo patterns might look nice,

Id like to know first off if this can be done cheap or what, Secondly any advice as far as laying out camo patterns? Im sure ill lay out a pattern and then photoshop it first to see what it might look like but perhaps there is a better way.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
im sure tacodab has some good pictures too

·
Registered
6,347 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you are seeing rust spots you might be in for trouble. Primer is not designed to seal the metal from the elements. In fact, it will draw moisture in and keep it there longer than you would think. The rust you are seeing is only a small portion of what has started. Before you do your paint project, you will need to make sure the rust is gone...not just covered up.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Take a sander and some high grit paper, sand the sucker down, tape it up with alot of blue tape and newspaper (tape more than you think, overspray is a bitch. Get you the 99 cents home depot primer, its on the very bottom row, comes in quite a few colors, including, flat back, flat tan, flat army green, brown, grey and I few others I cant think of.
Or... My buddy bought a 4x4 blazer for like 350 bucks and he got this spray paint camo kit at home depot for probably 15-20 bucks and did a pretty nice job I must say.

·
Registered
262 Posts
i did my tacoma. i think for all the bondo/sand paper/paint/tape/etc i spent a little shy of $100

you should definatly sand down the surface and make sure you are not just covering up any rust. to paint mine i covered the entire truck with a couple coats of duplicolor flat black automotive paint. this isnt a primer so it does a better job at protecting your truck from the elements. then i used krylon's ultra flat green camo paint. i did freehand, so i have soft lines but i like the way it looks. if you just take your time you can make your truck look good without spending tons of money.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
no you dont jsut sand off all the current paint..... you just rough up whats on it already.....

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I think i spent like 50 bucks total for a few rattle cans and tape. If you do it dont mask off your paint lines. You want the colors to fade into eachother....it will look more real IMO. Draw out some lines with a permanent marker and then just follow those lines with the spray. Just start with the lightest color and finish with the darkest color.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
hey raider is that an allpro or demello r bumper. very sweet

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
12 Participants
RaideRNatioN
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing