TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My slider was busted out on easter by a tweaker in order to steal my stereo. I have since put on my camper shell to prevent future tweakers from crawling in. I was looking into sealing my camper to my cab and using the slider on the shell. All the boots i have looked at appear to be crap quality, was wondering if anyone has used garage door weather stripping, a rubber garden hose, or any other rubber tubing/ weather stripping to seal their shell to cab. I dont care about rubbing the paint off, its a 98, and the shell is never coming off again.

Thanks

-Kyle:camping:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I used some 3M Rubber stripping. Works kinda like a memory foam. Once I pit the camper on it flattened down real well and wide and have had no more leaks.

·
Bearded Red Viking
775 Posts
I used some 3M Rubber stripping. Works kinda like a memory foam. Once I pit the camper on it flattened down real well and wide and have had no more leaks.
I think OP is talking about sealing to the cab, not the bedsides... In this case the 3M rubber won't work. He'll need to buy an actual boot made for it. I have seen people use foam roles, like the pool noodles (just black) to do this but IMO it looked getto...

I think you're gonna have to buy a shell boot for what you are trying to do.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok just grabbed a mountain bike tube (26x2.5) slid it in and inflated to about 20psi. seal is air tight @65mph plus no squeeks. I cannot believe i did not read about this it is so simple and cost about $6 bucks. When rubber becomes old and hardens, replace, takes five minutes. The truk boots are made out of far less supple rubber as far as I am concerned and could see numerous squeeks occurring.

Im excited now i dont have to sweat replacing the slider this winter and can focus on more important things like tires and replacing my stereo.

Thanks for all the help brosephs.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I used black pipe insulation and glued up a rectangle to surround the sliding part of the window. I have a slider in both the cab and the shell. This works pretty much like the bike tube but is sized to fit against the vert and horiz window frame parts. The drawback is the shell must be slid away from the cab then back, squeezing/trapping the seal between the cab and shell. I used 3M weather strip adhesive to glue the mitered corners and sprayed the whole thing with "Plasti-Dip" spray for UV resistance. I have been doing this on all my Toyota/shells since 83.
The really cool thing is if you close the cab windows, open the slider, have the fan or AC set on "outside air" the shell becomes pressurized to a degree. This prevents any dust what so ever from entering the shell on dusty trails at any speed. For best results run a strip of duct tape up inside each bed rail (can't see it). There are .5" x 1.5" slots up under the rails that connect with the "outside". Now all the air is forced out the tailgate gaps.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Clever! I'd like to see pics as well. OP, I guess you used the bike tube strictly to surround the area where your rear slider pane was borken out? can the camper slider still be used?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it only seals around the sliders, sorry no pictures. I recant my previous statement, it now slightly squeeks on bumpy hwy. Not bad but I still dont have a stereo installed so it is starting to turn me into an annoyed grumpass. Does the pipe insulation squeek, it seems like it would be fairly silent.

Thanks

-Kyle

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yes it only seals around the sliders, sorry no pictures. I recant my previous statement, it now slightly squeeks on bumpy hwy. Not bad but I still dont have a stereo installed so it is starting to turn me into an annoyed grumpass. Does the pipe insulation squeek, it seems like it would be fairly silent.

Thanks

-Kyle

No squeaks. I might add that due to the shape the shell I had to "fill" the upper tube with a strip of the insulation to make it a tad firmer because it was only slightly thicker than the gap. The lower tube is a larger size than the top for the same reason. Getting the right fit on my current truck/shell took a few tries. The thing would shift around until I came up with the right sizes and it is sort of "captured" by the shell/cab shape.
Try massaging some Armor All type stuff on the inner tube. A product called "303 Aerospace Protectant" works well (for a while). It is not slimy and does not discolor like Armor All.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts