TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a camer shell for my 2002 Xtra cab, and am trying to figure out how to comfortably sleep 2 back there.

A permanent sleeping deck it out of the question, but does anyone make something that takes into consideration the narrow width between the fenders and offer a way around this in either airmattress/cot form?

I was thinking that an aluminum "cot" like creation that when setup had a piece of canvas that would pull taught and provide a deck to throw an air mattress on top of would be ideal.

What have others done?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
looks like you have an invention there sir...could be your ticket to being a millionaire.

·
Registered
984 Posts
If 'temporary' is the main thing here... I remember a couple of years ago some guy assembled a sleep deck support frame from PVC piping for his Honda Element. It worked fine, was modular, and it was lightweight. You could probably locate pics, etc., at HondaElements.org.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm going to make something simple like this,

http://www.d-90.com/mod/bed2.html

and then support it with milk crate type crates that I'll pack gear in with two in the far front corners (or as close as I can get if they don't fit, I"ll provide more than enough rigidity), two in the back corners, and one in the middle.

Will cut two seperate 'halves' with two folding ends per half for collapsable storate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fourstringfletch said:
Here's a thread with some other good ideas

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5369.

my set up (see thread ^ ) sleeps two as long as you don't mind bumping into eachother a bit. still wider than a two man tent. it's also removeable by just sliding the mattress (or whatever you use) out and the cargo boxes come out by simply loosening 4 turnbuckles.
Thanks for the link.

I ended up making two 'halves' out of 1 sheet of 4x8 particle board that are 48" long and 27.5" wide and then have a hinged 22" x 27.5" section that folds so they pack easily accross the bed. I'll make some sort of latch to hook the two together in the center (thinking the type of hinges used to attach extra leaves to dining room tables).

For the trial run this platform was supported by 5 crates positioned near the corners and one in the middel (nealy milk crate in size and about 11" tall), but I'm going to try and find some individual collapsable legs that I can attach and have them fold flat for storage and adjust the bottom to level everything out.

So far however even on the milk crates it was fantastic, except that during my driveway test my airmattress is a bit too big to fit, so I need to find one around 55"x70."

Pics to follow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts