TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some forced vacation time coming up at the end of August and I haven't been camping at all this year. I'm not familiar with Wyoming at all (I've only seen I-80 along the bottom of the state), but I've heard there's some beautiful land to be seen.

I'm looking for remote/primitive camping within about a 50mi radius of Cheyenne. I've not interested in established/pay camping.

Anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think Vedauwoo is the only thing within 50 miles of Cheyenne. Really not much to see there and it's mostly established camping. The area around Laramie Peak just west of Wheatland is usually pretty nice but a buddy of mine was there this weekend and said a lot of it had burned.

Your best bet is the Snowy Range just west of Laramie. Not too much farther than Vedauwoo but worth it IMO. Plenty of maintined/non maintined FS roads and primitive camping. Headed there tomorrow myself!

·
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds like the ticket... Do you have some rough directions, gps coordinates, forestry service roads, etc?

I was also starting to look around in north/central Colorado in the Routt NF, north of Steamboat, but it's tough since I've never been up there and don't know which area has decent camping.

·
Registered
161 Posts
WYO 130 out of Laramie takes you all the way through the Snowies.
Can't load it fast enough on my phone right now, but I believe the PDF of the roads around the Snowies is in the link. I usually hit FS Rd. 103. Kelly and Libby Flats are on the Trail Damage site.

The address for the local (Laramie) FS station is in the link as well. They have several good maps on hand.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbr/maps-pubs/?cid=FSWDEV3_008634

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I think Vedauwoo is the only thing within 50 miles of Cheyenne. Really not much to see there and it's mostly established camping. The area around Laramie Peak just west of Wheatland is usually pretty nice but a buddy of mine was there this weekend and said a lot of it had burned.

Your best bet is the Snowy Range just west of Laramie. Not too much farther than Vedauwoo but worth it IMO. Plenty of maintined/non maintined FS roads and primitive camping. Headed there tomorrow myself!

I used to go there all the time when i was a kid. At the time they were paving the road.

I havent been back up to that area in years, but my brother and i were talking about heading up there before too long.

Is the place crawling with people though? The last time we were up there it was like a dude ranch and it drove us nuts. When we were kids there was no one for miles. Just trees with branches on one side.

The french creek area was the last place i was up there and it was still very nice and very few people.

Any other good remote fishing spots up there still?

Thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
I used to go there all the time when i was a kid. At the time they were paving the road.

I havent been back up to that area in years, but my brother and i were talking about heading up there before too long.

Is the place crawling with people though? The last time we were up there it was like a dude ranch and it drove us nuts. When we were kids there was no one for miles. Just trees with branches on one side.

The french creek area was the last place i was up there and it was still very nice and very few people.

Any other good remote fishing spots up there still?

Thanks
It's not too bad. All the tourist never seem to go any farther than a few steps from WYO 130. You'll get some ATV traffic on the weekends but it's not horrible by any means. I was up on the trails yesterday and never saw anyone except a few FS guys early on.
No idea on the fishing spots, I haven't fished since I was like 9yo.:eek:

·
Registered
772 Posts
I think Vedauwoo is the only thing within 50 miles of Cheyenne. Really not much to see there and it's mostly established camping.
all in the eye of the beholder. Vedauwoo has some of the best granite crack in the rocky mtn. region!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts