TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm looking for a shifter cable for a 1998 Camry LE I4 - it broke on my girlfriends car the other day (the one that goes from the AT lever through the firewall up to the front of the transmission), but the stealer wants $191 :eek: for the replacement part. Does anyone have any idea where I could find it cheaper? I've been googling like a crazy man and I am having no luck. Plus, I don't have any good parts coupons or discounts to take advantage of. I ignored used options originally, but if it comes down to it that would be fine (I hope). I am in San Antonio, Texas. Thanks for the help....

ps: my g/f is angry about how much it is...she just went out the door grumbling, "can't we just use ductape or something..." That's my girl :)

Jon O.
1999 Black 4wd Xtracab SR5 V6 TRD
OME, Sliders, Scratches.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
valkyrie said:
Did you email Barb at TRDParts4u? I think you're looking at a 33820-06071, about $119.
Oh sweet, that price sounds much better.

Hmm, I can't get the TRDParts4u website to pull up the item with the number you listed. I'll just email Barb - is [email protected] a good email address to contact her? Do you work there btw? Thanks for your help, I appriciate it.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
JonnyOzero3 said:
Oh sweet, that price sounds much better.

Hmm, I can't get the TRDParts4u website to pull up the item with the number you listed. I'll just email Barb - is [email protected] a good email address to contact her? Do you work there btw? Thanks for your help, I appriciate it.
yeah, just email her at that addy & she'll hook you up. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
email sent - thanks a bunch! Just curious, I saw you are in TX - where are you guys located?

edit - Oh, its on the website, silly me! Too bad dallas is too far for me to pick it up.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I just replaced the transmission shifter cable on my 98 Camry. You have to buy the whole cable assemble. The Toyota Dealer wants $268, but you can buy the exact same cable from NAPA on-line for $80. The NAPA part number is ATM 0742409. Replacing the cable requires access to the firewall from both inside and outside the vehicle to remove the plate and rubber gaskets. When you are done, make sure you spray lubricant on the shift level that comes out of the transmission. This is what binds up causing the shifting to become very stiff and when you force it, it breaks the cable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
SurfingDrunk
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing