TTORA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Seems to me that the cost of the cams and actual performance gains are minimal. Just put that money towards some real overall increase in hp and torque with the S/C and fuel mods. Good luck either direction you go.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Cams aren't cheap. My Crower 272 cams were close to $500 each for my Supra.
Yeah but everyone should know that supra parts cost an arm/leg/and a left nut just for being a supra part! You post up on HPD's site seeing as your from H-town?

To the original OP hope you find what your looking for, go radical and build a turbo setup lol, or get a flux capacitor! j/j

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Yeah but everyone should know that supra parts cost an arm/leg/and a left nut just for being a supra part! You post up on HPD's site seeing as your from H-town?
This is true, Supra parts are generally marked up a good amount.

Yea, I'm on HPD - same username. Are you on there too?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm doing this if I can figure out the details, it's just a matter of *when*... I'm moving soon, so most of my time and finances are devoted to that. I'm gonna have to keep my eyes open on ebay for some Camry cams.

Yes, the plan is to dyno BEFORE install, because I am basically stock now... then install cams -- no computer mods or whatever -- and dyno again. I'm hoping I don't need to retune a thing, since the computer is paying attention to airflow, and I suspect this will be within its limits. But time will tell, eh?

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
All sounds pretty interesting, I would be very interested in how this all plays out. I have a supercharger looking at me hard from my workbench saying let's go but I am curious about this cam thing if it really will produce 20-50 DAMN! Then add a supercharger Double DAMN! It just sounds like too much trouble. The 3RZ cam thing is fetching though isn't it. You are saying just pick up some 3RZ cams from a junkyard, clean them up of course, set lash and go? Lose some bottom end and gain a bunch up top? With the supercharger on I could afford to lose a little on the bottom.
3VZ-FE, not the 3RZ.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I'm doing this if I can figure out the details, it's just a matter of *when*... I'm moving soon, so most of my time and finances are devoted to that. I'm gonna have to keep my eyes open on ebay for some Camry cams.

Yes, the plan is to dyno BEFORE install, because I am basically stock now... then install cams -- no computer mods or whatever -- and dyno again. I'm hoping I don't need to retune a thing, since the computer is paying attention to airflow, and I suspect this will be within its limits. But time will tell, eh?
Just a really good 5 angle valve job, and cleaning the port edges would likely flow enough air to start screwing up the AFR. It will be interesting to see how much more air will flow, and WHEN will it flow, depending on cams and port work. That is one thing that will cost me a couple bucks, is the flow bench testing. It's the only sure way to know how much air is moving, and at what valve opening you get the best rates of air acceleration. But hey, any real power increase will cost real money.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Just a really good 5 angle valve job, and cleaning the port edges would likely flow enough air to start screwing up the AFR. It will be interesting to see how much more air will flow, and WHEN will it flow, depending on cams and port work. That is one thing that will cost me a couple bucks, is the flow bench testing. It's the only sure way to know how much air is moving, and at what valve opening you get the best rates of air acceleration. But hey, any real power increase will cost real money.
Man, I wish you guys luck. I think this has some good merit. I will keep watching this thread. I just found out I'm getting laid off, so I am out. At least till I get another job. After my six months of unemployment funded vacation :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
lol I just finished a state-funded 6 month vacation, too :p I actually wish this discussion had taken place back in the middle of that, cuz I might have been able to buy and innstall the cams for test fitting.

·
Registered
851 Posts
lol I just finished a state-funded 6 month vacation, too :p I actually wish this discussion had taken place back in the middle of that, cuz I might have been able to buy and innstall the cams for test fitting.
Where do you live in So Cal? If you get the cams, I wouldn't mind helping you set them up. Since I'll be chilling on the sofa anyway. Feb. 1 is my last day of gainful employment. :xozzy: :neener:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Sorry I didn't reply very quickly... I moved from Temecula to Hemet not long after the Corona meet, and on the last day of the move we both got really sick... been sick for almost three weeks now.

I won't be doing this for awhile... probably spring or early summer, but it's on my to-do list.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Do some more research on cams before you do it. TO keep a similar bottem end torque curve, you will not get the gains you think you will. To get the gains you want you will definately have to sacrifice some bottem end power.
I would do this on the 2.7L, but not the 3.4L.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well, worse comes to worse, I swap back to stock, right? But It won't hurt to try, dyno, see the results, and decide what is best at that time, right?

I will probably lose a bit. But not a whole lot, and perhaps with some portwork I can balance things out.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Good Luck, hopefully it suprises myself and other speculators that would like to bump up their 3.4 without SC'ing

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sorry I didn't reply very quickly... I moved from Temecula to Hemet not long after the Corona meet, and on the last day of the move we both got really sick... been sick for almost three weeks now.

I won't be doing this for awhile... probably spring or early summer, but it's on my to-do list.
Hey I live in Hemet also....if you need a hand working on this or anything else, lemme know....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Crash course on cams:

Duration dictates, for the most part, where in the power band the power is made.
Lift makes up for crappy flowing heads (lots of valve shrouding).
The real power maker is Lobe Centerline Angle (LCA) separation. Or overlap. Unfortunately with overlap comes a lack in driveability down low. But as long as the overlap isn't too extreme you can make up the lost torque with more compression. Which also will give you more power across the band.
For you guys not wanting to lose torque, I'd look into cams with similar duration, and more lift.
I think the biggest thing now is adjustable cam gears. I don't recall coming across a set readily available to buy off the shelf. I think there is alot of power to be made with stock cams.
I helped tune my buddies honda, and we got damn near half a second quicker 1/4 mile times with more intake cam advance, and a quick tune. That was with stock cams.
And you can cause a radically different profile by re-grinding stock cams, but especially with our newer tech valve trains, it can horribly screw up geometry, and cause premature wear, and fatigue. I reccomend against re-grinds.

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Well most people do that with cans. But what about their cams? :confused:

·
Registered
50 Posts
they wanted about 1000 do it it, ColtCams wanted about 550 and thats with the shims and the Webcams did not come with shims. still wondering about the 3VZFE cams but it seems like everyone just talked about it and never did it or tried it

21 - 40 of 44 Posts