TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I screwed up and let an air intake chaff against an A/C line and it let the freon escape. I cant even see the hole. ALL I can see is the chaff spot and evidence of the freon leak. And my a/c only lets out warm air.

Can it be patched or must they replace the entire line. The entire line goes throughout the hole engine bay and will take hours and $$$$ to replace.

Anybody know?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
You have to replace the entire system...if air gets into it, it basically turns to mustard gas.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You have to replace the entire system...if air gets into it, it basically turns to mustard gas.

I don't think so, Tim. Lot's of systems get vented due to accidents, etc and only the damage components, the drier and refrigerant get replaced.

Can you patch the line? You may find someone to patch it but it's really not hard to replace. Even a complete novice could get it done in ~1 hr with only basic hand tools. Remember to keep any openings/connections clean which includes washing your hands often.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't think so, Tim. Lot's of systems get vented due to accidents, etc and only the damage components, the drier and refrigerant get replaced.

Can you patch the line? You may find someone to patch it but it's really not hard to replace. Even a complete novice could get it done in ~1 hr with only basic hand tools. Remember to keep any openings/connections clean which includes washing your hands often.
A/c system can not be done with basic tool. First, need to evacuate the system (if there's still freon in the system) and then replace the line and drier. Second, after the line has been replace it need to vacuum the system to get rid of the air the system. Third, charge the system. So its not really basic tool, need proper guage and specially vacuum pump if you want to do it right.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
A/c system can not be done with basic tool. First, need to evacuate the system (if there's still freon in the system) and then replace the line and drier. Second, after the line has been replace it need to vacuum the system to get rid of the air the system. Third, charge the system. So its not really basic tool, need proper guage and specially vacuum pump if you want to do it right.

he was probably thinking and not writing that 'replacing the LINE can be done with basic hand tools'....then of course take it to an A/C repair place to have the lines evacuated and re-charged...

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
I understand a lot of shops are starting to farm out AC stuff now (to specialty AC shops) due to the regulations and the fancy new equipment needed.

·
Registered
268 Posts
he was probably thinking and not writing that 'replacing the LINE can be done with basic hand tools'....then of course take it to an A/C repair place to have the lines evacuated and re-charged...
Thank you Mr Tacomi. That's exactly what I meant. They system is already vented due to the hole in the line. Swap the line, swap the drier, head to the shop for evac and recharge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts