TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specs: 2002 Tacoma 4x4, 2.7L engine, 5 speed, 67K miles

I had just started my truck this afternoon when I heard a loud, rhythmic sound that was coming from the fan. It sounded like the fan blades were hitting something so I popped the hood to take a look. I noticed a strand of rubber (which turned out to be part of the belt) flopping around the fan. So I shut the truck off.

Closer inspection revealed the outer ridge on the "alternator" belt had separated and the rest of the belt had slipped out of the grooves in the pulleys. I also noticed some oil on the block and hood.

I looked into the front wheelwell to see if I could locate the source of the oil, and noticed a small pool of oil on the concrete. :mad:

So I dropped the skid plates. This bolt was just laying on the passenger side of the rearmost plate. It looks like it sheared, but I cannot find where it sheared from. I'm hoping someone here can give me an idea of where to look. I'm going to have the truck towed in to the dealer tomorrow or Friday.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
AK98Taco said:
That appears to be the bolt that retains the main crankshaft pulley on the timing chain cover.

I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to be the first to say it. :D

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
AK98Taco said:
That appears to be the bolt that retains the main crankshaft pulley on the timing chain cover.
I think you guys might be right! To the original poster, grab the crank pulley and wiggle it around. If it moves at all, that's what happened. Hopefully you can get it fixed under warranty, could potentially be a lot of damage.

Later,
....Mike

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Mike said:
I think you guys might be right! To the original poster, grab the crank pulley and wiggle it around. If it moves at all, that's what happened. Hopefully you can get it fixed under warranty, could potentially be a lot of damage.

Later,
....Mike
I knew it was from a pulley, so I looked to Toyota for answers and there was only one bolt in the entire engine bay that looked like that.

It sounds like something seized up, the bolt twisted off, and the pulleys just walked out, causing the fan to start hitting things.

There are actually three pullies between the fan and the motor. The number one pulley is the one that lost its bolt, and the number two and three pullies attach to it with four bolts.

If this was happening and the motor was still running, things might be so bad.

Either way, this truck needs to be taken to the dealership and looked over with a fine-tooth come.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
AK98Taco said:
Glad I could take the risk for you, LOL!

:xpimp:

HEHEHE :D :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I was afraid it was the bolt for the crankshaft pulley. The motor ran for maybe 10 seconds before I shut it off.

Next question: Can anybody recommend a dealer in the northern middle TN area? I'm closest to Rivergate Toyota, but I bought the truck in Knoxville.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Hawse said:
Thanks guys. I was afraid it was the bolt for the crankshaft pulley. The motor ran for maybe 10 seconds before I shut it off.

Next question: Can anybody recommend a dealer in the northern middle TN area? I'm closest to Rivergate Toyota, but I bought the truck in Knoxville.

DON'T go to Rivergate. They're a bunch of crooks. For dealership stuff I deal with Neill Sandler in Murfreesboro just because their shop guys are all 4x4 type people. Our Prez (or vp or something) Ty has a place he deals with downtown. Jump on the TN board and post to "twales".

Also, we've got some runs coming up soon. Youshould join us at Tellico next month :D

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Hawse said:

Find a good dealership or private shop and take it in. It needs to be looked over, as you can understand.

I don't know the names of any dealers in Tennessee, and I'm only familiar with the Nashville/Ashland City area.

Where exactly in TN are you?

I'll be in Nashville over Christmas.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Hawse said:

Same thing happened to my roommate, except on a V6. The pulley was wasted, and killed the key on the crank, but the crank itself was not damaged too badly. He cleaned up the crank, put a new key in there, installed a new pulley, and life was good again. Not sure about the oil leak, I am not familiar with the 4cyl engines.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With 67K miles on the clock, what are the odds of Toyota footing the bill?

The bolt looks like it was torqued on too much at the factory.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hawse said:
With 67K miles on the clock, what are the odds of Toyota footing the bill?

The bolt looks like it was torqued on too much at the factory.
Depends on your warranty coverage. I think standard is still 60K on the powertrain, but it you can find a good stealer, they might take care of you. Just don't take it to Toy of Knoxville. Those guys are azzholes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hawse said:
Specs: 2002 Tacoma 4x4, 2.7L engine, 5 speed, 67K miles

I had just started my truck this afternoon when I heard a loud, rhythmic sound that was coming from the fan. It sounded like the fan blades were hitting something so I popped the hood to take a look. I noticed a strand of rubber (which turned out to be part of the belt) flopping around the fan. So I shut the truck off.

Closer inspection revealed the outer ridge on the "alternator" belt had separated and the rest of the belt had slipped out of the grooves in the pulleys. I also noticed some oil on the block and hood.

I looked into the front wheelwell to see if I could locate the source of the oil, and noticed a small pool of oil on the concrete. :mad:

So I dropped the skid plates. This bolt was just laying on the passenger side of the rearmost plate. It looks like it sheared, but I cannot find where it sheared from. I'm hoping someone here can give me an idea of where to look. I'm going to have the truck towed in to the dealer tomorrow or Friday.

Hey man,

I work in Nashville and I deal with the parts guys at Beaman Toyota off Broadway. Ive never taken my truck into their shop before so I dont know what to tell you about them. I would say try the dealer that tenntaco talked about down in the Boro. Hopefully it isnt too bad and you can get it back up and running man. I know there is a Toyota Dealership up in Gallatin also off 31. You might trythem also since its soo close to you.

Ty

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The truck is at Beaman Toyota right now. They want $93 bucks just to diagnose the problem. Right now, my hands are tied.

I did tell them that I'd like a Toyota Representative to look at the problem to determine if the problem originated with Toyota's quality control. I'm hoping they see it that way since I don't know how a 1/2" bolt could shear unless it was overtorqued at the factory.

Does anybody have the phone number where I can talk to a Toyota Rep? The Search function is not help helping.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you recently had any work done on the truck, like having the timing belt changed? It seems strange that the bolt would shear 67,000 miles later. It seems more likely that it was siezed in the crank and snapped when trying to remove the bolt.

If it snapped when it was being tightened over torqued, you would think it would have broken up higher where there are no threads. It may be that with a previous service requiring the bolt being removed, it mave have not been torqued enough and worked loose. The puuley works its way out on the loose bolt and then the pulley breaks the bolt off.

good luck.

John

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only thing the truck has had done is routine maintenance; oil changes and one tune-up. I've never had any work done on the engine itself, and I bought the truck new.

Also, I think 4 cylinders have timing chains.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Hawse said:
... I don't know how a 1/2" bolt could shear unless it was overtorqued at the factory...
I don't know about the 4-cyls, but on the V6's that bolt torque was originally specified as around 185 ft-lbs. In '99, Toyota changed the spec to around 220 ft-lbs or thereabouts, and also changed the spec that it be a one-time use bolt. That suggests to me that it is damn near it's breaking strength at that torque. I would guess they upped the torque because they were concerned about them coming loose at the original torque, and we've seen one apparently come loose to a TTORA member. Maybe you just got the 1 bolt in 100000 that wasn't quite strong enough?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just got word that Toyota is NOT going to offer any assistance towards the bill for this repair.

Does anybody have the phone number where I can call and voice a complaint? I know the reps name is William Nelson.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
About this Discussion
51 Replies
25 Participants
SAStoy
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing