TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be straying from my routine tire purchase of the BFG AT KOs and trying another tire. My truck rarely see's mud much these days and I often travel from Pittsburgh to South Carolina to visit friends. With that being said, I don't want to purchase an all road tire but the BFG's are a little too aggressive for the highway and I have been having balancing issues with my last few sets. The E load range tire I've found is too heavy of a tire for my truck which is a 2008 Tacoma V6 Off Road Double Cab. Therefore, I am closely looking at the Michelins and was wondering if anyone could give me any input on their experience with them. Thank you and Happy New Year to all.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Will be straying from my routine tire purchase of the BFG AT KOs and trying another tire. My truck rarely see's mud much these days and I often travel from Pittsburgh to South Carolina to visit friends. With that being said, I don't want to purchase an all road tire but the BFG's are a little too aggressive for the highway and I have been having balancing issues with my last few sets. The E load range tire I've found is too heavy of a tire for my truck which is a 2008 Tacoma V6 Off Road Double Cab. Therefore, I am closely looking at the Michelins and was wondering if anyone could give me any input on their experience with them. Thank you and Happy New Year to all.
I had those tires for about 40k miles (31x10.50s). I got them in load range C and they had very good road manners. They are hauling tires and I was told they were rated for 90k miles. They did seem to ride rougher than what I had previously. For highway driving this doesn't really matter. They seemed decent offroad but I never took them very far. They still have a nice aggressive look to them. Overall I was very happy with they. I only got new tires because I was going larger.

I recently switched to 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx and they ride smoother than the michelins even tough they are load range E.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great tire had them on my explorer and it was my daily driver for my sales route 300-400 miles a week had them for about 70k when I traded it in and there where still plenty of tread left to go another 10k.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Michelins are great tires. I currently have them on my 06 Tacoma DC Sport. I am right at 70k on them and could easily get another 10 or 15k out of them. They they have also been really good in the rain and snow. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a set with about 45k on them.

Great on road manners, wet or dry. Tread wear is what I expected from Michelin, they look they would go 60+ on a light truck like a Tacoma.

They are a heavy tire, so your MPG will suffer.

They perform like any good AT tire for mild off-roading.

The snow & ice performance is disappointing. The first couple winters were OK, now as they wear & harden it's become pretty bad. I think the tread design is good but the compound gets really hard in cold temps. That's the trade off for long wearing.

I will never know how long they would last because they are now developing significant cracking between the treads. My tire dealer says he's seen several sets do this after 3-4 years. His opinion is they will suffer tread separation before they wear out. Really disappointing considering how much they cost.

My next tire will be more biased towards winter performance (I live in the frozen north). And they won't be Michelins. I'm feeling a bit stung by this experience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts