TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I'm in the right section making this inquiry.

I've been looking at the CAN-BACK camper set up, for my '04 TRD-EC 4X:

http://www.soft-top.com/CanBack/index.php

and wanted to know of other's experience with this product. I'm wondering if there are any inherent problems with it. How they hold up over time and generally anything else of interest.

·
Registered
194 Posts
ToyoTaco said:

and wanted to know of other's experience with this product. I'm wondering if there are any inherent problems with it. How they hold up over time and generally anything else of interest.
i've had one on my 4Runner, and it's awsome. They fit good, and look nice. Mine has been on the rig for about 3 years, and still looks new. If you get one with side windows, keep them clean, or they will scratch when you roll the sides up.

·
Reppin the Flips on TTORA
816 Posts
Do a search here, and on the old Forum, and you'll see my 2 cents on Can-Back. It's Love-Hate. At this point it's hate, since they don't give 2 sh*ts about Customer Service once you've already bought from them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
FlipSideUp said:
Do a search here, and on the old Forum, and you'll see my 2 cents on Can-Back. It's Love-Hate. At this point it's hate, since they don't give 2 sh*ts about Customer Service once you've already bought from them.
I don't know if I would say that.. I know Charlie (the owner of Can-Back) They had some off the wall things happen that would have put the average company out, They had to start totally over, with a new building, and then the fun stated over again for them. They are picking up steam again, and should start dealing with the public again at any time. Their back order list was soooo huge, they were busting their asses to get caught up, I think they are about ready to take more new orders again.

·
816 Posts
All I know is that they have not returned one single call or e-mail in the last 2 years. And it's not like I'm hounding them either. But at least 10 times that I could count.....12 or 13 if you include phone calls followed by e-mails. All I was asking was if they could sell just a replacement top alone. I can almost bet I was the first guy in Houston to buy their product back in '98 or '99. I was extremely happy with the product, which is why I want to get a replacement top. I was very clear in all my messages that I would pay whatever they want for the top alone. They could have at least returned one call, just one, to let me know they were having problems.....

Just say something like "hey man, we hear ya, and we appreciate you as a customer who wants to keep his Can-Back, but please bear with us....."

I just left a message on their machine today....so let's see what happens.

BTW, I still love my Can-Back.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Problems? I'd say so!

It takes a LONG time for people to forgive such sorry ass service. I tried to buy one for 6 months and gave up when I heard all the HORROR stories.

·
609 Posts
ToyoTaco said:

I have one and love it. The windows suck but owning a CJ5 before taught me how to handle them. The design is solid and workmanship top notch. Mine actually leaked less that a sealed glass topper I had before. I usually rolled up the sides for summer since the dog enjoys it more but the rolls would collect water. I contacted them and ordered just the fabric surrey top(one without sides). Six weeks later it arrived. I agree they have been bad responding but the time I talked to a person I was told straight out they are behind and it will be a while. I appreciated his honesty and for that would wait. If I didi it again and had to wait 2 months for a top I would. It had been worth every penny. I also have the spreader bars and haul 2 17' sea kayaks with no problem. I have put more than the rated 350 lbs worth of lumber on top and no failure. They will have my business. To the other guys that were shafted I'm sorry your experience sucked because I'm sure you would like the topper as much as I do. ToyoTaco-there are some pix in my link of the setup.

·
609 Posts
98 Taco said:
Did you keep the old top fabric?
Yup. I use the full sides one in winter and on trips when I need the coverage and the surrey top the rest of the time.

·
609 Posts
ToyoTaco said:
wisctaco04, I couldn't get to your site....would love to see the pics, would you mind checking to see if the link is intact?
It worked for me this a.m. Must have been down. Wisctaco pix

·
816 Posts
If you click on my Pics (in my sig), you'll see a few pics of mine. Like I said, I love it, but I am really disappointed in their CS. I also want to get the surrey top.

If all fails this last time around, I'm going to a local convertable top company in Houston, and have one made using my old one as a template.

·
609 Posts
ToyoTaco said:
Yeap....it worked this morning. Thanks...nice truck too! Did you fab those skid plates? If not who makes them?
Thanks. OffRoad Solutions made it. I just got a welder so I am on the slow track to fabrication. I made a sweet high-lift rack I'll post some pix of soon but that's it for now.

·
609 Posts
Blacksheep said:
Does anyone camp inside of theres. Are they insulated enough to camp in the cold? Is there enough room inside? How much does one weigh compared to a hard top?
Ive been out in 0-10*below and it frosted up bad. There is no ventilation so it is a really bad idea unless you have a very good WATER PROOF bag. My winter bag is rated -30 so I was warm enough. In the summer I have a trekers bug net that fits and hangs almost perfect inside and keeps the skeeters out. It is honestly way easier to pitch a tent that unload all your gear just to sleep in the back. JMO

·
816 Posts
Blacksheep said:
Does anyone camp inside of theres. Are they insulated enough to camp in the cold? Is there enough room inside? How much does one weigh compared to a hard top?
I used to have a basket, so I threw most of my gear up top, and just kept the futon and cooler in the cab. We still would pitch a tent, but it was actually for gear once we were set up on the campsite. Sometimes, the futon did get wet on the underside from condensation, but it was comfortable! I would say if you plan to camp, then get the rack and basket. Either that, or get a hitch-mount basket to put your gear in.

One other quirk, it's kind of a pain to snap the rear flap down once you're inside. You have to squeeze your hand out the side and try to snap the rear flap down.

BTW, where did you get that skeeter net from? Is there a website?

·
609 Posts
FlipSideUp said:
BTW, where did you get that skeeter net from? Is there a website?
Campmor.com -Skeeter tent
It's a bit tall but does the trick. It's also high enough for a couple folding camp chairs and cooler of beer to keep free of the buggy madness. Packs up really small too.

·
816 Posts
Thanks for the link. I'm glad it shows the dimensions. I'm gonna check my local Academy and see if they got one that size, otherwise I'll order from here.

I wish Bestop (they make tops for Jeeps) made a nylon camper for Tacomas. They make them for fullsize trucks, and they have options for integrated mosquito nets.

·
609 Posts
FlipSideUp said:
Thanks for the link. I'm glad it shows the dimensions. I'm gonna check my local Academy and see if they got one that size, otherwise I'll order from here.

I wish Bestop (they make tops for Jeeps) made a nylon camper for Tacomas. They make them for fullsize trucks, and they have options for integrated mosquito nets.
No problem. We have a local sewing shop that said they could do a reproduction of the topper fabric but in another material similar to cordura(?) nylon. I wanted the surrey top out of that material but the guys at Can-Back actually had a faster lead time and it was made of the sumbrella fabric. My old soft top on the Jeep lost it's shape fast so I would be skeptical of something not as stiff/heavy. I do recomend the bug tent though. It has saved me some insanity backcountry as well. I have been through two of them so far. They really dont hold up well to the MSR Whisperlite stoves in them for future reference.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.