TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site and needed some help from you more experienced Toy owners. I'm going to be moving from San Diego to upstate New York the first of April and wanted to tow my wife's Rav4. We were only going to load her car with the essentials and ship most everything else. I'm driving an '03 Double-Cab, TRD, non-4x4 with no modifications of any kind. I have a bumper mounted hitch on their now (installed by the prior owner) but understand that I'll need to install a Class 3 hitch. Can I do this or will I blow stuff up?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Use a car dolly (trailers weigh alot), preferably with brakes (without works, but you'll hit mountains, a braked dolly is safer).
Add a tranny cooler, and the aformentioned Class 3 Hitch. I'd recomend buying a set of trailer lights from Walmart, assemble them with the plug, carry them in the truck as a spare, if you have light trouble plug them in and zip tie them to the back of the Rav somewhere. Trailer and dolly lights are notorious for shorts and bad bulbs from all the bouncing they take.
My Tacoma pulled a 79 CJ7 from Ca to Va, and a 91 Firebird from VA to TX with no problems. The truck will pull ok, it wont be a speed demon on steep hills, if it gets bad you can take the Rav off and drive through those sections of road.

Tim

·
Registered
348 Posts
You might want to check out some more info on the Rav4 before you tow it (assuming it is a 4wd version). I know that you can't flat or dingy tow an auto 4wd Rav4 - but a 5 speed 4wd is no problem. Not sure about dolly towing though...

Pete

·
Registered
878 Posts
JerBear said:
New to the site and needed some help from you more experienced Toy owners. I'm going to be moving from San Diego to upstate New York the first of April and wanted to tow my wife's Rav4. We were only going to load her car with the essentials and ship most everything else. I'm driving an '03 Double-Cab, TRD, non-4x4 with no modifications of any kind. I have a bumper mounted hitch on their now (installed by the prior owner) but understand that I'll need to install a Class 3 hitch. Can I do this or will I blow stuff up?
http://www.campingworld.com/tLibrary/output.cfm?ID=749773
the RAV4 is on the list of vehicles that can be flat towed...if you look around there are instructions online for flat towing the RAV4 ...I posted a whole bunch on flat towing on the Cottora board but can't find the links right now. I remember seeing a very detailed article on flat towing the RAV4...the curb weight is low enough that your Taco can handle the load as well even with some added weight but not to much!

if you need more info let me know!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Rav is 2wd, fyi. How much should someone expect to pay for the tranny cooler. I'm trying to keep costs to a bare minimum.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Figure about $100 for a tranny cooler if you put it in your self. You could find some cheaper, but spend a little more and get the right one the first time.

Hayden and Perma-Cool make good coolers, I'm sure someone else can post with some other good recommendations.

Tim

·
Registered
45 Posts
what part of upstate ny are you moving to? I live in Cortland, about 25miles south of syracuse.

·
Registered
179 Posts
this is going to sound stupid, but what will a tranny cooler acctually do for you (obviously, besides cooling the tranny) but why would you need that *or is it just for towing*? ive seen others on here that have tranny coolers, but dont understand why...sry for the newb question...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
In an AT the fluid plays a bigger role than just lubricating; it's an integral part of the gear shifting process, and as a result gets a lot hotter than the fluid in an MT would. Using a tranny cooler will prevent the transmission from overheating, especially when towing. An overheated transmission wears faster.

·
Registered
179 Posts
aww, i see...so is there any performacne gains with it? most people dont need it rite? *btw, im just curious*

·
Registered
231 Posts
Rent a tow dolly from U-haul. Have them install a class 3 hitch and the wiring to go with it. They may install tranny collers also, not sure.

All you have to do is get the Rav 4 up on the dolly, strap it in, then crawl underneith and unbolt the driveshaft and hang it up out of the way. Make sure it won't slide out if you have a slip yoke on the back of the tranny. Then hit the road!

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Chief said:
Rent a tow dolly from U-haul. Have them install a class 3 hitch and the wiring to go with it. They may install tranny collers also, not sure.

All you have to do is get the Rav 4 up on the dolly, strap it in, then crawl underneith and unbolt the driveshaft and hang it up out of the way. Make sure it won't slide out if you have a slip yoke on the back of the tranny. Then hit the road!
2wd Ravs are front wheel drive...no driveshaft to worry about.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
schcott said:
most people dont need it rite? *btw, im just curious*
Any auto tranny can benefit from a trans cooler. For normal use you wont see performance increases, but it'll keep the heat down in the tranny and increase tranny life. An automatic transmissions biggest nemisis is heat, the cooler you keep it the happier it'll be.

Tim

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ramchargers sells B&M stacked plate trans coolers for 39.95. I'd also have to suggest keeping the over-drive off while you are towing that Rav.
Damn man New york is sure gonna be different to you than San Diego...Say hello to the snow.
:xbeer1:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts