TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, from my last post I went on describing about how I got stuck and what not in the mud but since then, I noticed something pretty strange. I had gotten stuck in the mud for about 3 - 4 hours before getting towed out, but while my truck was in the mud, I had a few splatter spots of mud on my hood. When I got home, I washed it all off and cleaned the truck thoroughly but today, I saw some foggy/dull spots from where the mud was. It feels kinda rough and looks like the mud ate through the clear coat...Any suggestions on fixing this?

·
Registered
600 Posts
You sure its completely washed and clean? I really can't think of a chemical reaction between mud and a clear coat. 3-4 hours is nothing.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
:rolleyes:

wax it

if that doesnt work

3m rubbing compound, followed by polishing compound

rubbing compound CAN burn through clear coat if you run a high speed buffer in one spot for too long, so be carefull around the edges.

In otherwords, no, mud will NOT eat your clear, unless they had paint thinner or aircraft stripper mixed in the mud? lol

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No more spots...after....

2 Thorough washes

30 Min of clay bar

5 Min of clearcut

10 Min of rubbing compound

10 Min of polishing/sealer

10 Min of wax

And finally...no more spots...that's just all bad. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
No more spots...after....

2 Thorough washes

30 Min of clay bar

5 Min of clearcut

10 Min of rubbing compound

10 Min of polishing/sealer

10 Min of wax

And finally...no more spots...that's just all bad. Thanks for the replies.
Wow!

I've never washed my truck. Not even one time.

OK, i drive it through the car wash.

But I've never given it the whole bucket wash thing.

It's just too much freakin' work and I'm not willing.

Clay bar? not me. I paid a guy $30.00 to hand wax it when it was about a month old, and it gets car wash wax about every two weeks whether it needs it or not.

It's two years old in this pic.

Still looks good enough to keep me happy!

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,420 Posts
Yup, I've seen it before and had it happen to me. Certain types of mud will dull the clear coat. You basically need to strip off the harmful mud with some rubbing compound, use polishing compound to get a new shine, then final wax coat. The more wax coats you apply, the less likely this will happen in the future.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My truck is at the body shop as I type for some hood paint issues.

Here's the deal:
I drive a work vehicle and my truck sits in the driveway most of the time. I washed it a couple months ago and noticed somthing was still on the hood. It looked like hard water stains/spots. A couple days later, I got out the buffer and "Lite Finish" compound. It wouldn't take it off. It felt much smoother but the white spots where still there. I tried clay bar...waste of time. So I took it to the body shop that repaired it after a T-bone accident last summer. There records showed no work to the hood at all, and that is correct. They had a couple guys look at it, and said that they could get it out with some work, possibly sanding. The shop owner said he has seen similar problems from acid rain, and sprinklers. I am guessing that while watering the flowers/lawn, it got on the truck and kicked the paint's ass.

So it is at the shop today getting worked over. I'll let you know what happens with it.

I will also be clay baring it and putting two healthy coats of wax on after it's fixed!!! I don't want this happening again.

-5th

·
Banned
755 Posts
^ yeah, I was gonna say that I had a car repainted from acid rain damage once. It's not completely implausible to think that acid rain can exist in mud, is it?

·
Registered
464 Posts
might have been semen.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
my opinion...

dont just wax that area, if you're going to do it, dont be lazy and do the WHOLE TRUCK!

I wheel mine pretty hard, and its honestly dirty more than its clean, but i still wax it at LEAST once a month... and dont even get me started on how often i clean up my car.

·
Registered
464 Posts
my opinion...

dont just wax that area, if you're going to do it, dont be lazy and do the WHOLE TRUCK!

I wheel mine pretty hard, and its honestly dirty more than its clean, but i still wax it at LEAST once a month... and dont even get me started on how often i clean up my car.
Exactly. I'm waxing monthly, nevermind what the waxing nazis say, that "12 month" shit never lasts 12 months. I use Meguiar's Nextgeneration. Once or twice a year I use "3M Imperial Hand Glaze" for dark colored vehicles. I will not be convinced there is anything better.

·
Registered
170 Posts
you'll need to wait a few weeks after its been painted before you wax it. this gives the paint time to fully cure.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
^ yeah, I was gonna say that I had a car repainted from acid rain damage once. It's not completely implausible to think that acid rain can exist in mud, is it?
More than likely the soil had a lot of sulfides in it to begin with, which is natural in red clay (cinnabar, iron ore). Extremely alkaline soil is also common in the western U.S. and in fact plagued Oregon trail travelers because the waterholes were so caustic the livestock wouldn't drink from them. I don't know what PH balance is harmful to automotive paints, but I wouldn't blame "acid rain" on it. Probably just good old fashioned natural clay.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There were some holes in the mud with standing water, and reflected a bronze/greeninsh color off the surface. I figured it just may have been something in the soil, because i've seen it in a lot of other areas, but never thought anything of it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Maybe it was evil.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow dude, you're really not gonna like offroading much if you stay this anal!

lol
Actually, offroading doesn't mean messing your truck up. If that was the case, sliders (they have more than one purpose - i know), brush guards, and other types of body protection would not exist, right? I'm just trying to take the right steps in order to avoid unnecessary damage to my truck. I mean, if it takes an extra coat of wax to make my truck look bad ass like the day i bought it, why not take the extra time to keep it in tip top shape. I mean, destroying a beautiful truck doesn't prove anything in my book. I know offroading involves taking risks and experiencing the inevitable but hey, like changing your fluids after offroading in the mud, taking care of your body/paint is just as important afterwards, right? :)

·
Banned
755 Posts
If it floats your boat to drive a shiny truck, then yes, I guess.

I've had my truck since Feb of 05 and it might have A coat of wax on it. I just really don't give a shit about a shiny truck. Clean, sure. But I've got better things to do with my time besides waxing a truck that will be just as filthy next weekend.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts