TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello fellars,

I can not get the crankshaft bolf off. I have tried 400 lbs impact on it pry bar. I am afraid I am going to break something. I have just read some post of poeple using the starter to lossen the bolt. I am a little affraid of that. What I am affraid of is breaking the bolt. What if I ripped the lower cover off and just slipp in a new belt that way. I am thinking it might work. Could the bolt be left threaded?

thank you :saw:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
the bolt isnt going to break, its fine... quit being a wimp and pop that sucker off

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Impacts can't always get the job done. Just use a very long ratchet extender (3 ft pipe) and some of those wimp muscles and it will pop right off. The starter trick does work, just make sure you know what direction the engine is turning and be sure the ratchet is resting on the correct side on the ground. All you need to do is bump the starter.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Interex said:
Impacts can't always get the job done. Just use a very long ratchet extender (3 ft pipe) and some of those wimp muscles and it will pop right off. The starter trick does work, just make sure you know what direction the engine is turning and be sure the ratchet is resting on the correct side on the ground. All you need to do is bump the starter.
be sure you pull the efi fuse if you are going to do the starter bump method!!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
There are all kinds of tricks to get that bolt off. If you have the correct tool you don't need tricks.

What you will need is a plan on how to reinstall that bolt and properly torque it. That same tool is what you need for that. If you don't torque it properly, it can come loose and allow the pulley to disengage from the woodruff key and destroy the crank and pulley.

Be carefull here.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
citrustaco said:
hello fellars,

I can not get the crankshaft bolf off. I have tried 400 lbs impact on it pry bar. I am afraid I am going to break something. I have just read some post of poeple using the starter to lossen the bolt. I am a little affraid of that. What I am affraid of is breaking the bolt. What if I ripped the lower cover off and just slipp in a new belt that way. I am thinking it might work. Could the bolt be left threaded?

thank you :saw:
http://www.toy4x4.net/timing_belt/index.htm

·
609 Posts
Pull the efi fuse.

Place the breaker bar on the UNDERSIDE of the frame rail.

Bump the starter.

To reinstall, place truck in 5th gear. Chock all 4 tires. Torque it to spec. On mine the engine compression held the crank to 217 ftlbs fine. I got paranoid and used a little locktite too on install.

I welded up a bracket to hold the crank pulley but never needed it. If you have an auto, well..... you're screwed.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Yep, the "SST" tool holds that crank really good!

It took me a breaker bar with a 4' pipe to get mine off. Have one person hold the SST, one person on the breaker bar. Use two hands, eventually it'll break free.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was able to take it off by bumping the starter I was suprise at how easy it was. For reinstalling I am going to use lock tite and use my ratchet that goes up to 150lbs. Then tigthen even more. Or I could use an impact and set for 225 lbs.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
check harbor freight.... i think they have a torque wrench that is good for 250ft lbs. its not too much either.... and out of the box they are usually pretty close to what it should be set at.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tacotoy said:
check harbor freight.... i think they have a torque wrench that is good for 250ft lbs. its not too much either.... and out of the box they are usually pretty close to what it should be set at.

that is a good idea thank you

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
wisctaco04 said:
I welded up a bracket to hold the crank pulley but never needed it. If you have an auto, well..... you're screwed.
You're not screwed with the auto, just use the tool:

Home Depot has a 250 ft-lb torque wrench with a nice long handle for about $65 IIRC

·
609 Posts
I was refering to if he did not have the sst or a homemade tool and the auto tranny he would be screwed. Otherwise you are correct.

Good call on the home depot wrench.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mt_goat said:
You're not screwed with the auto, just use the tool:

Home Depot has a 250 ft-lb torque wrench with a nice long handle for about $65 IIRC

thank you for the ideas. I need to get a welder to be able to make my own tools.

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
correct me if im wrong, but arent u supposed to replace a crankshaft bolt everytime you take it off?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Get a big cheater bar and start pulling, it's an easy concept. Plus it's cheaper than buying other tools. And no, I don't think you have to replace the bolt.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
In the FSM for the later year 5vz trucks the crank pulley bolt is listed as a single use item and they jacked up the torque specs on it.

I think this was done to address the problem with the bolt coming loose.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
wisctaco04 said:
I was refering to if he did not have the sst or a homemade tool and the auto tranny he would be screwed. Otherwise you are correct.

Good call on the home depot wrench.
I bought a Home Depot Wrench. It's a husky, 50-250ft lbs. Worked great!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
12 Participants
NorcalPR
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing