TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran 33x10.50 BFG AT's on my last Tacoma, but they're out of stock now with no ETA provided (30+ days). I could wait, but I've read really good things about Falken's AT tire. Unfortunately it's only available in 31x10.50, 32x11.50, or 33x12.50. I don't want a really wide tire but I do want taller than stock, so I'm thinking about the 32x11.50.

The other option is to step up to 16" wheels and go with a 285/75/16. This would be a lot more expensive, though. I have considered Tundra brakes, but I don't plan on towing much (if at all), so I'm not sure it'd be necessary.

I'm leaning towards putting 32x11.50 Falken Rocky Mountains on the stock wheels now. I have ToyTec Ultimate coilovers at stock height and stock rear suspension on a 99 4x4 x-cab v6. I may go 1-2" rear and up the coilovers a little, but I haven't decided yet.

Any thoughts? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I ran 33x10.50 BFG AT's on my last Tacoma, but they're out of stock now with no ETA provided (30+ days). I could wait, but I've read really good things about Falken's AT tire. Unfortunately it's only available in 31x10.50, 32x11.50, or 33x12.50. I don't want a really wide tire but I do want taller than stock, so I'm thinking about the 32x11.50.

The other option is to step up to 16" wheels and go with a 285/75/16. This would be a lot more expensive, though. I have considered Tundra brakes, but I don't plan on towing much (if at all), so I'm not sure it'd be necessary.

I'm leaning towards putting 32x11.50 Falken Rocky Mountains on the stock wheels now. I have ToyTec Ultimate coilovers at stock height and stock rear suspension on a 99 4x4 x-cab v6. I may go 1-2" rear and up the coilovers a little, but I haven't decided yet.

Any thoughts? Thanks guys!
toyo does a 33x10.50

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey not sure if your only looking for AT or if you open to MT's but i was running the BFG AT when i first got my truck but when it came time to get new shoes i went out on a limb and got the not so name brand Federal MT ...and i couldn't be happier they are just as quiet on road as the BFG AT and very well mannered in all weather my rig is a DD and sees trails mud snow and sand on the weekends and i haven't found anything yet that it doesn't do well in. They are the perfect mix of good road manner, quiet DD and gnarly offroad tires if you ask me.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
those are some mean lookin tires. 33 12.50?

·
Registered
128 Posts
31x10.5 actually and i love um! and there inexpensive as well

·
Registered
128 Posts
=)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not really interested in MT tires- not much mud to play with in AZ, and they're typically noisier and don't last as long as an AT tire. If I'm wrong, please correct me!

Debating between 31x10.50 or 32x11.50...really doubt I'll be doing any offroading serious enough that 31" tires would be a limitation.

Falken Rocky Mountain ATS in 31x10.50 would be $728.48 installed. 32x10.50 would be $850.62.

BFG AT KOs in 31x10.50 are $850.62; 32x11.50 are $872.43.

Between those options, I would probably either go with 31" Falkens or 32" BFGs. Assuming 32x11.50's will fit without a lift, I'm leaning towards that.

·
Registered
272 Posts
BFGs for sure! The Falkens are not the greatest tire at all....

·
Registered
258 Posts
I know they're kinda off brand but I love my Kelley safari TSRs. They have a 31-10.50-15 on their chart. I got 20-25k mikes on mine and I bet there is still over half tread. And that's with front end alignment issues with inner tie rods, rack bushings, etc. They're classified as an AT tire. I got 265-75-16 10 plys.

Here is a link.
http://www.kellytires.com/cfmx/web/kellytiresel/details.cfm?product=316

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've got a set of the 31" Falken Rocky Mountains and LOVE THEM! I've had them on since October of '11, and drive 600+ miles a week. Some times take trips to Indiana, Penn, and Connecticut. These tires have worn very well, are quiet, and have good grip. I definately plan on going up to the 33" when I get my rear end swapped and lifted.

·
Registered
43 Posts
BFG BFG BFG...BUNCHA FREAKIN GARBAGE! I don't know what the big deal is about effin' BFGs! I have never, ever had a pair of BFGs that didn't chunk and wear like crap! Not to mention they are loud as heck. If you are willing to spend the money, Try Duratracs. They wear great, the downfall is they are loud but they don't chunk like crappy ass BFGs and they look better.
If you are looking for value-- great tires on a budget-- and not looking to pay an extra hundo for a name, go with the Falkens. They grip well on most surfaces, are quiet, and wear really well. Well worth the money.
Oh, did I mention BFGs are garbage!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
BFG BFG BFG...BUNCHA FREAKIN GARBAGE! I don't know what the big deal is about effin' BFGs! I have never, ever had a pair of BFGs that didn't chunk and wear like crap! Not to mention they are loud as heck. If you are willing to spend the money, Try Duratracs. They wear great, the downfall is they are loud but they don't chunk like crappy ass BFGs and they look better.
If you are looking for value-- great tires on a budget-- and not looking to pay an extra hundo for a name, go with the Falkens. They grip well on most surfaces, are quiet, and wear really well. Well worth the money.
Oh, did I mention BFGs are garbage!
I'm not sure about your duratracs but mine chunked like a mofo, but they are pretty quite

Tapatalk

·
Registered
796 Posts
Check out the maxxis bighorns. I like em

·
Registered
193 Posts
The hankook at/m RF-10 tire has treated me nicely. I was a die hard BFG AT fan until I tried these ones. Quieter, better wet handling (kind of important during monsoon season), work well in the snow, and wear like iron.

When I wear these out, I'll buy another set for sure.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Of the 5-6 types of tires I'd had, the best I've come across so far are the Yokohama Geolandar AT/S. Great on the road, great off road for what I do. Quiet, long lasting, grippy and well priced. The only tire I would consider getting again out the models I've tried, though I might give the Revos a shot.

BFG M/T KM1/KM2 - Not particularly good off road, lumpy and loud on road, bad wear. KM1s chunked quite badly.

BFG A/T - Nothing special all around, bad wear, too pricey, VERY dated design

BFG Rugged Fail - Piles of fucking shit

Toyo Open Country A/T - Scary in the wet, spun out several times making left turns from a stop on wet pavement, tread compound is WAY to hard, quiet, fair off road, bad in snow, cheap, long lasting

Goodyear Duratracs - Total shit, sidewalls as substantial as a well used condom, 4Runner felt like it was floating down the road, wiggly at speeds over 6 MPH on forest roads, bad in snow, didn't have them long enough to test wear.

Various P-rated Michelin L/TX, Bridgestone, etc. - Not worth reviewing, came with wheels I bought.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Cooper is making a decent AT now

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sure is a lot of bfg hate in here... Best I can figure they can't be that bad or they wouldn't be so popular. Probably the tires fault though though and nothing to do with the operator :rolleyes:

·
Registered
193 Posts
They were state of the art 20 years ago. Still a good tire, but better things have been developed in the last two decades. (well, to be fair, mostly in the last 5-7 years)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts