TTORA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had an aftermarket pioneer deck in my truck with crossovers in the door with tweeters and a sub. the stereo was stolen

so i bought a used stock stereo not too long ago and went to install it today but for some reason the front speakers dont have sound. this is on a 2000 tacoma. on the back of the stereo that was made in 99 is 3 female connections. i only see two male connections to plug into them. since its been forever since i had a stock stereo and dont remember the wiring i am not sure if that third female plug is used, because i dont see another plug in my dash to fit in there. is it possible that it was ripped out when my stereo was stolen?
is that third female plug not used and my crossovers are preventing the fronts from working?

i am a stereo noob so all help is appreciated

thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I replaced my OEM radio, I remember only two of the three plugs being used. You're okay.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
I have similar problems even though I am working with an aftermarket unit.

I think your cross over is getting in the way!

I was messing with my stereo stuff today at lunch. and I figured out that my "balance" controls the fade and my "fade" controls fade between the front and rear speakers after my amp. I have no idea on why one of my rear speakers is not working!

I guess that is what I get for believing one of my high school daughters friends when they said "oh yea! I can hook up stereo's" But why should I not believe them when the roll up to the house and you feel their base two blocks away?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think you are onto something James. I didnt even think about my amp and crossovers running my aftermarket fronts. so i need to figure out some way to power the amp or have the amp switch on with power when the ignition turns on... any ideas on how to use aftermarket stereo stuff with a stock deck?

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
speaker level input and run your amp to a switch

·
Registered
5,124 Posts

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
that doesnt make sense to me..i am electrically retarded... i should probably go buy a cheap deck for my truck
what part dont you understand?

your old deck had rca(preamp) outputs, your stock stereo does not have those. you need the rca outputs to connect to your amplifier. the line output converter(s) that i linked to will take the speaker output out of the stock stereo and make it into a preamp(rca) output that you can connect your amp to. it not the best way to do it but its the only way without replacing the stock stereo for an aftermarket one with preamp outputs built in.

your old aftermarket deck had a provision for automatically turning on the amp when the deck turns on. its called the remote turn on lead. you need to take that lead going to the amp and give it 12 v + and the amp will turn on.

you want to be able to turn your amp on and off right? thats where the switch comes in

make sense?

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
... i should probably go buy a cheap deck for my truck
thats what I did! I just needed the head unit so that I had something that would pick up my satalite signal and play the occasional CD

·
Registered
42 Posts
what part dont you understand?

your old deck had rca(preamp) outputs, your stock stereo does not have those. you need the rca outputs to connect to your amplifier. the line output converter(s) that i linked to will take the speaker output out of the stock stereo and make it into a preamp(rca) output that you can connect your amp to. it not the best way to do it but its the only way without replacing the stock stereo for an aftermarket one with preamp outputs built in.

your old aftermarket deck had a provision for automatically turning on the amp when the deck turns on. its called the remote turn on lead. you need to take that lead going to the amp and give it 12 v + and the amp will turn on.

you want to be able to turn your amp on and off right? thats where the switch comes in

make sense?
He is right, my old job was to install stereos and if want to use a stock deck and a amp then you need line out converters

1 - 13 of 13 Posts