TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 stand. cab 4 whell drive. while driving above 20mph when I let off the gas I get a loud matlic rattling sound but soon as I steep on the gas again it goes away untill I let off the gas again. Im pretty suer something is loose cant fig out what it is though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It has been a while but I think I had a similar sound. My heat shield on the exhaust header had cracked. The location where it cracked was just behind the engine. I just tapped around with a steel rod till I found where it was loose and then bent it back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill check that out. If thats the case is their any probs with removeing the heatsheild?

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
another thing to check is your cat. I had a cat go bad on my old 4runner, and it sounded kinda like marbles in a coffe can.

-ryan

·
Registered
297 Posts
My 2001 did something like that and turned out I just had to grease the carrier bearing. You might want to check that out before you start replacing stuff....
-Scott

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Again, the cat could be bad if it sounds like it's coming from down there. Mine sounds like someone has a can full of bb's and they're shaking them around when i let off the gas at certain speeds as well.

·
Registered
279 Posts
McNateMc said:
I have a 96 stand. cab 4 whell drive. while driving above 20mph when I let off the gas I get a loud matlic rattling sound but soon as I steep on the gas again it goes away untill I let off the gas again. Im pretty suer something is loose cant fig out what it is though.
Rear u joint. I've replaced 7 so far and I know exactly what your describing. That it happens when you let off the gas is the same exact symptom I always experience. Try greasing it at first and see if it goes away for a few miles. It will probably come back shortly after being greased.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
akshunj
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing