TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tried changing out my driver side front cv axle this last weekend and i couldn't finish the job b/c i couldn't separate the hub from the most bottom part...(sorry, i can't remember the name of it). there is a bolt that goes through it and is secured by a nut and cotter pin. i couldn't separate the hub from it and therefore couldn't get the axle out.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing????

Maximus

·
Registered
67 Posts
Maximus said:
i tried changing out my driver side front cv axle this last weekend and i couldn't finish the job b/c i couldn't separate the hub from the most bottom part...(sorry, i can't remember the name of it). there is a bolt that goes through it and is secured by a nut and cotter pin. i couldn't separate the hub from it and therefore couldn't get the axle out.

Maximus
Not sure, but if you're talking about the lower ball joint I just remove the 4 bolts that hold it to the knuckle. Much easier.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Maximus said:

Maximus
I second what the other guy said, but your description is a little unclear. You're not talking about the huge nut underneath the dust cover are you?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Maximus said:

Maximus

take the 4 bolts out and swing the spindle out some, take and tap the cv with a hammer to get it where its not stuck in the hub, then just swing the spindle around, pop the cv out from the diff and reverse the proccess, should be a 20 min job start to finish :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nanotruck said:
Not sure, but if you're talking about the lower ball joint I just remove the 4 bolts that hold it to the knuckle. Much easier.
I know what your talking about....i saw them. I thought about it and then didn't try b/c i didn't know what i was taking apart. I might try that again....thanks....

Maximus

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4TACXOMA4 said:
I second what the other guy said, but your description is a little unclear. You're not talking about the huge nut underneath the dust cover are you?
nope...i got that loos with no prob. it is the lower ball joint i think. anyway...i might try the 4 bolts and see how that works. thanks...

Maximus

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zszac111 said:
take the 4 bolts out and swing the spindle out some, take and tap the cv with a hammer to get it where its not stuck in the hub, then just swing the spindle around, pop the cv out from the diff and reverse the proccess, should be a 20 min job start to finish :D
Thanks for the info...i think i will try that method....

Yeah, i was moving along pretty good and thought it would be done in no time until i ran into that lower ball joint bolt. Thanks again.....

Maximus

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Maximus said:

Yeah, i was moving along pretty good and thought it would be done in no time until i ran into that lower ball joint bolt. Thanks again.....

Maximus
make sure you put those 4 bolts back in with locktite and to torque spec.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Maximus said:

Maximus
yeah you can do it by poping the lower ball joint out or just taking the 4 bolts out. when i had ifs trust me i changed around 30 or so of these things on the trail. just be carefull not to cross tread the bolts when you put them back in. might help to have someone hold the spindle still while you get them started. it you have any problems getting the cv out of the diff just take something like a nail remover or something that you can wedge inbetween the joint and the diff, and just hit it with the hammer a few good times.

zac

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help guys....it seems like removing the 4 bolts seems to be where i am headed....thanks again..

Maximus

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Use Blue Locktite

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
zszac111
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing