TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the unfortunate luck of having shifting issues with my W59 transmission in my 96 Tacoma. So I am going to do everything else before actually pulling it and rebuilding it or having someone rebuild it for me (I just don't have the tools for the job). Today I started (0r tried to) by replacing the bushings on the shift lever. MAJOR issue already!!!! I can't get the g-- damn shift lever cap to turn so that I can remove the shift lever. My thumbs are absolutely shredded wheat at this point and I have given up for the day to give them time to heal. (YES!!!! I'm a girl! But the guy couldn't get it off either) Does anybody have any idea what-so-ever why this thing won't move? Any helpful hints on how to pursuade it? The truck has 150k miles on it and I am not willing to let it die because I love the shit out of that thing. How far does it depress before it will turn? It is only sinking about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch. Is that the prblem? If I spray the thing with PB Blaster will it contaminate the fluid in the tranny badly? Please give me some helpful advice on this. I am too poor to take my truck in to a mechanic and I have learned how to repair it myself as a result. I am no mechanic, but so far there hasn't been a repair that I haven't been able to do myself so I would like to keep that track record. Thanks in advance for any info.

Totally frustrated and not even out of the starting gate.

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
Sorry you're having so much trouble. I remember it was a booger. Not so much a strength issue, it's a spring you have to compress at the same time twist the "housing" to unlock it and pull the shifter out. Im sure any of the TN ladies, I mean boys would be glad to assist.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
Yeah, the shifter level is a real pain. I usually wipe it down with a red rag, then drape the rag over the housing. Using my thumbs or index fingers, push down as hard as I can on the collar and rotate it to unlock. I've found that some shifter levers are tougher then others. Those that didnt have the rubber boot on right or vehicles that play in the mud alot have the biggest problem due to dirt in the collar. Usually pushing down on the collar a few times to free up the lodged dirt helps.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
ShowStop said:
Yeah, the shifter level is a real pain. I usually wipe it down with a red rag, then drape the rag over the housing. Using my thumbs or index fingers, push down as hard as I can on the collar and rotate it to unlock. I've found that some shifter levers are tougher then others. Those that didnt have the rubber boot on right or vehicles that play in the mud alot have the biggest problem due to dirt in the collar. Usually pushing down on the collar a few times to free up the lodged dirt helps.
Make sure the rag is red too. The color will send the shifter flying out like a bull after a matador with a red flag. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GOT COPE? said:
Sorry you're having so much trouble. I remember it was a booger. Not so much a strength issue, it's a spring you have to compress at the same time twist the "housing" to unlock it and pull the shifter out. Im sure any of the TN ladies, I mean boys would be glad to assist.

Thanks, I know how it is supposed to work! One of the TN "boys" did assist, with no better luck than I had. I dug a lot of chunks of crap out of there as well (can't tell if its mettalic or completely discintegrated bushing though). Is the big spring (the one that you can see through the top of the cap) supposed to depress all the way??? If so, I am screwed. Not a mud/dirt issue, as the last time I was off-road, it was in the Santa Rita Mountains in Arizona (ass-kickin trails out there by the way with year-round swimmin holes that you will have to find for yourself if you ever get the chance). This truck still had the original calipers on the brakes when I replaced them last summer! I think it is just frozen like every other f-in nut and bolt on that die-hard, last forever bugger. Thanks for the inspiration to get out there for round two though. :welder:

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
If it seems seized, soak it with some PB blaster.

the "chunks" are the remnants of the old shifter seat/bushing.

Once you get it undone, wipe out all the PB blaster or whatever you choose to use.

IIRC you're supposed to grease the shifter socket or something. Ill check what it is exactly when I get home.

If you dont have one already, a Haynes manual can come in handy.

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the helpful info. I was worried that the blaster might contaminate the lubricant, but I know in my heart of hearts that the syncro for 3rd and 4th is shot and I am going to have to drain, pull, fix and refill anyway so I may as well soak away. I am still hoping that by checking out everything else outside of the tranny itself first that I will fix the problem. With 150K on it though, I might as well pull it now and fix it up right as opposed to later eh? I do have a Haynes, but when it comes to transmission work it doesn't cut the mustard. I did get my hands on the factory manual and downloaded it to a CD, compliments and great big fat thanks to hytenor. You are supposed to grease up the end of the shifter before reinstalling. I did manage to get that much out of the Haynes book. I am in love with this site! I can't wait to get that PURE STOCK (look down on it all you want. I'm too poor to turn it into something different than it already is) baby back off the roads. I hope that I can pick peoples brains on this site for recreational information as well as technical. Thanks everybody, you've been a major help to this rookie(but damn good one) mechanic. :D

·
Registered
395 Posts
Try getting a pair of pliers on the two tabs (One part of the head on each tab) and tap on it with a hammer. I had some trouble with a g52 once or twice and this worked for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sucess and a question or two more.

:) I just want to thank everyone for all your helpful hints and advice. I got back to my truck yesterday, worked the cap up and down, sprayed it with PB Blaster, tried the red rag trick then ultimately got it to turn by using a pair of pliers inserted inside the cap to turn and remove it. What a gunked up mess I found. I ended up pulling the whole plate off the top of the gear box in order to clean out my oiler shaft and breather hole. Of course I dug a gouge in the ball when I cut off the old tip bushing, but smoothed it out with a belt sander. There are no longer any sharp edges, but can still feel the nick. Is this going to be a problem???? Anyway, just wanted to say thanks a million for all the practical advice. You people are all right in my book. Oh yeah, is there a hard plastic option for the bushing that the shift lever seats in so that I don't have to deal with the totally discintigrated mess that I found yesterday? If so, where do I find one?

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Pikeville ??? No shit..About 15 min from you..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SWEET! Just what the doctor ordered (GOTCOPE?)!!! I am going to say it again. You guys are the best. I've found more of exactly what I needed on this website in the past week or so than I have in the past year from every place else! I swear I am going to give you all some money (that is as soon as I find some, but I'm pretty good at finding it for the important stuff) Thanks again. :D :D :D

·
Registered
395 Posts
You won't have any problems with the nic in the ball. Good thing to have sanded it down. Marlin Crawler is a great place to get stuff. They've got a pretty good forum too.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
nocutename said:

In what direction? Cumberland? Sequatchie? Hamilton? or Rhea? Small town until you try to get anywhere huh?
Northern Hamilton, Soddy Daisy..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rattlecanpaint said:
You won't have any problems with the nic in the ball. Good thing to have sanded it down. Marlin Crawler is a great place to get stuff. They've got a pretty good forum too.
Thanks. That seems to be the general concensus about the ball, but when you rebuild a transmission for the first time everything is a question eh??? I knew I had seen that HD bushing somewhere but couldn't remember where. I think I will look into their forum also, although so far I have gotten all the answers I have needed here. Its nice to have people willing to help out a rookie without viewing it as a major PITA or a waste of their time. when I asked the tech at the dealership all he could talk about was the bolts even though I kept telling him that the bolts weren't what I was asking about. Then he told me to just bring it to him and he would have it "all better" in a couple of hours. Just another ass who thinks that all a woman knows how to do to a vehicle is put gas in it. Thanks for not being one of "those". :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TacoCrazy said:
Northern Hamilton, Soddy Daisy..
You call that a 15 minute drive?? Let me know when your out and about and I will stay the heck out of your way!!!! Ha! Ha! I work on Signal and that takes about 45 min to an hour to get to and you are on the other side of that mountain at the bottom! Maybe when I get my truck running again you can show/tell me some of the good off-road trails that a stock truck with a good driver can enjoy around here????? That would be great as it has been about six years since I have put that thing through it paces and left civilization behind.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Well...I just picked a number and fifteen sounded good..You're right Pikeville is a tad farther than that but it's not like California or anything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts