TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK this is long so crack open a cold one and help me out if you can...

It's an '89 1st gen 4Runner with 22RE (190K), M/T. I've owned it about 6mos. and during that time I've been busy SAS'ing it so I haven't dug into this problem until lately, here's the symptoms and what I've tried:

Symptoms:
Idle must be set at @ 950-1000 RPM in order to idle smoothly with no shaking of the engine/shift lever and audible stumbles at the exhaust pipe -- at 750 RPM it won't die but it's obviously missing. Timing must be set to ~7 - 8 (with jumper) or noticeable loss of power on the highway. I can set to 5 (with jumper) but it doesn't help the idling issue. When it is missing @ 750RPM, you can see the timing light jumping around.

With these workarounds (timing and higher idle), the motor is just beautiful -- people can't believe the hills I can pull in 5th gear with 35" MT/Rs, 5.29 gears. Starts and idles great, consumes no oil and I am 100% happy with it -- except of course it's bugging me that I can't get it within spec.

Here's what I've done and tested (not nec. in this order) -- there may be more I've forgotten:
Checked and adjusted TPS, in spec.
Checked and fixed AFM -- the wiper arms in the unit worn and the readings were jumpy. I readjusted the arms to rub in a different spot and now reads correctly in all ranges
New fuel filter
New plugs & wires
New rotor and cap
Tested ignition as per FSM, in spec.
Removed injectors and had Witchhunter clean and balance them. All rated at excellent now
Cleaned intake manifold with oven cleaner and is spotless
Cleaned throttle body like new
Cleaned and verified operation of IAC
Tested cold start injector, no leaking
New O2 sensor -- this fixed a driveability issue where basically there was a huge power increase around 3K RPM and kinda doggy below that but no change to idle issue. Tested new O2 sensor as per FSM
Compression check - 185, 180, 185, 184 *** Higher than spec -- carbon build up? Maybe why I need more timing advance?
Tested temp sensor and cold start sensor, within spec
Performed all FSM tests (voltage and Ohms) at the ECU, everything looks GREAT -- all values within the ranges, usually near the middle
No cracks/leaks in air intake tube, removed and inspected every inch of it
No vacuum leaks, inspected every line and used propane
Performed EGR tests and it passed -- temporarily plugged EGR line and no difference
Jumpered fuel pump for the heck of it -- no difference
Air filter is new
Tested igniter and is within spec -- air gap is correct
New thermostat -- old one was stuck open causing long warm up times

The only other clue I have is that on a hot start, it will often idle around 500 RPM (and smoother than when I set it to 750!!!) until I give it some gas then it goes back up to 1000 where I have it set now. But before I blip it, it acts like it would be happy to idle even lower. This makes me think the problem is electrical(sensor/ECU), not mechanical (valves)

If there is a post here or on Pirate4X4 about 22RE idle issues I've almost definitely read it/tried it/tested it. Only other thing I can think of is valve adjustment -- could that cause these symptoms but have it work so well except for the idle? I know it had a new timing chain done before I bought it (or maybe just guides, I don't know for sure) but I would think I'd have bigger issues if was off a tooth, right?

Any ideas? I've probably tested even more than above so I might just respond to say yeah I tried that too but any ideas or pointers would be great. I can live with it but I think I should be able to solve this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
sure you are setting it right? the 22re has to have a jumper plug in the connector to be properly set.... if it is supposed to be set @ 950 rpm, then why hte hell are you setting it @ 750?

and i dont know what 22re you have, but that timing figure sounds wrong... its 12-15 on a 22re.... not 7

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sure you are setting it right? the 22re has to have a jumper plug in the connector to be properly set.... if it is supposed to be set @ 950 rpm, then why hte hell are you setting it @ 750?

and i dont know what 22re you have, but that timing figure sounds wrong... its 12-15 on a 22re.... not 7
The service manual states idle should be set @ 750 RPM and timing at 5 deg. with the jumper set. I'm setting the idle @ 950 because it idles like crap @ 750 and I'm setting the timing @ 8 (with jumper) because it has no power @ 5. With the jumper removed, my base timing of 8 jumps up to around 12.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts