TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering why nobody (that I know of) has come out with carbon fiber fenders, bedsides, etc. I mean it's lighter and stronger, is it just because of cost? We're in the process of getting a carbon fiber shop here at work...so I'll have all the fiber to play with that I want, and I'm definately going to take a stab at fenders and bedsides once I get it down.

·
Registered
587 Posts
For the abuse you would put it through, CF would be too expensive to be replacing. Fiberglass is ALOT cheaper to replace in case something breaks or cracks. But if you're going to make them then that would be awesome.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i can make some if i have the time and motivation(money) i will try to get some goin. i have been thinking about it. i work with aircraft that are carbon fiber/kevlar, so the process is pretty easy. i will see what i can whip up. :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Tweeter said:
does CF crack as easy as fiberglass?
kevlar is better, its not as stiff and will flex more than cf, also the initial cost is not that much but its the 2 part resin that costs the most. epoxy/harder 2 part is the best. with microballoons as the filler.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm in the military and the shop is going to be used to make aircraft parts for our helicopters...so it's going to be top notch stuff. The military doesnt buy cheap stuff so it's going to be nice. I'm hoping it's carbon/kevlar but I wont know until we get the rest of the machinery and start getting everything together.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think there was a black tundra for sale on race-dezert a few days ago that had a one piece carbon fiber front end. Looked pretty sick.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
AllJumpStyle said:
Why not make plastic fenders like dirt bikes have?
I remember a thread on DR a while back about a guy who was thinking about making plastic/rubber fenders. I think he had a friend who made the flexible plastic or rubber - not sure exactly what the material was - that alot of import body kits are made out of. Sounded pretty sweet, I would imagine a little heavier but they would flex and bend upon impact and return to their original shape instead of cracking or breaking. Paint may be annoying but it sounded like a cool prospect to me...

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Baja Belk said:
I remember a thread on DR a while back about a guy who was thinking about making plastic/rubber fenders. I think he had a friend who made the flexible plastic or rubber - not sure exactly what the material was - that alot of import body kits are made out of. Sounded pretty sweet, I would imagine a little heavier but they would flex and bend upon impact and return to their original shape instead of cracking or breaking. Paint may be annoying but it sounded like a cool prospect to me...
They make flexable paint for ABS body panels but why not get it color injected to somewhat match your truck? Like white so it matches your truck? Me i'm screwed so I will stick with fiberglass.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Baja Belk said:
Urethane. The guy owns All-Out Motorsports or something I met him in Ocotillo once he was rolling with Ernest (DMZ Ranger), seemed pretty legit though I think he was having problems painting it or finding easy ways to repair it.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
i know glassworks will make u a carbon fiber fender/hood/bedside for you they will just charge extra for material

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Tweeter said:
Urethane. The guy owns All-Out Motorsports or something I met him in Ocotillo once he was rolling with Ernest (DMZ Ranger), seemed pretty legit though I think he was having problems painting it or finding easy ways to repair it.
Yah Urethane. - "flexible rubber stuff"???? - man, too much sun last week for me...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
484 Posts
YoTRacer158 said:
I'm in the military and the shop is going to be used to make aircraft parts for our helicopters...so it's going to be top notch stuff. The military doesnt buy cheap stuff so it's going to be nice. I'm hoping it's carbon/kevlar but I wont know until we get the rest of the machinery and start getting everything together.
I would imagine quite a shitstorm would ensue lest your sergent sees fenders being made. I don't think you could pass them off as a wheel flare for a Humvee.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Baja Belk said:
Yah Urethane. - "flexible rubber stuff"???? - man, too much sun last week for me...:rolleyes:
Yeah "sun" sure buddy...

I'm not so sure about the carbon fiber, sure it looks cool but I'd rather buy something that served a little more function...if you do get carbon fiber bedsides can I have yours Derek :D

1 - 20 of 82 Posts