TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like i'm being sent to Carbondale for a conference at the end June. i will probly drive out there so I can stop and see an uncle along the way which means i'll have my truck with me.

Are there any members close by that area, is it wheelable weather wise that time of year, what else it there to do out in that area???

Thanks for any input!

Mike

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
fjcruzer is in Basalt. jade is in Vail, and Hawkonthewing is in Glenwood Springs - very close to Carbondale. There is TONS of 'wheeling around there, but I'm not sure what elevation the snow will be at in June.

What dates and how many days did you want to 'wheel? If it's near the 23-24, we have a great trip planned:
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65030

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Hey Mike! Let me know what your in the market for and I'll try to steer you in the right direction. Hopefully wheel with you too!

Eric

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, my conference starts on the 26th so looks like my summer plans include getting there early and doing the continental divide trail with COttora!!!

then i will be in carbondale for a week so maybe we can do some other local trails in the afternoons or at least i can cruise around meet some people and sample some of the amazing micro brews of your great state!!!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh and as far as truck specs-
4x4, trd locker
sliders
33's to be going on befor summer:D but they will be AT's not MT's
and hopefully a wraparound rear bumper with recovery points!
I am an experienced wheeler thoug its mostly high speed stuff but can handle the slow stuff pretty well:thumbs:
Mike

·
Registered
291 Posts
33's to be going on befor summer:D but they will be AT's not MT's
You know I believe that the AT's are probably better for everything except maybe mud. I think more edges are better for rock. My problem is that the size I want doesn't come in the AT's.

We look forward to having you there for the Elk Range runs. That will be great. It'll be fun.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
You know I believe that the AT's are probably better for everything except maybe mud. I think more edges are better for rock. My problem is that the size I want doesn't come in the AT's.

We look forward to having you there for the Elk Range runs. That will be great. It'll be fun.
What tires you looking for Hawk?

·
Registered
291 Posts
BTW Cruzer,
Why don't we have a thread in "Plan a Trail Run" for the Schofield run? Let's move on from discussion to planning, already. Let's make that thing happen. What do you say?

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I do remember, was just curious what you ended up deciding Hawk. And as soon as I actually have some time to do a good post, I'll get the Schifield run up here.

Troy, check with Stagecoachco about those TrXus MT's. In Moab he was starting to see some unhappy lug wear issues.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Troy,

I got the 255/85 TrXus. They are a bitch to balance, which is only an issue if your rig is a DD like mine. They really don't stand up well to Moab rock crawling. Last weekend there was some chunking and tearing of tread. I got them because they were $20 cheeper than the BFGs. After comparing the wear on my tires and fjcruzers tires (BFGs 255/85) it was clear that the BFGs will last longer on the rocks. If I had it to do over again, I would have spent the extra $100 and got the BFGs.

Tony

(Sorry for the thread highjack :eek: )

·
Registered
291 Posts
They really don't stand up well to Moab rock crawling. Last weekend there was some chunking and tearing of tread. I got them because they were $20 cheeper than the BFGs. After comparing the wear on my tires and fjcruzers tires (BFGs 255/85) it was clear that the BFGs will last longer on the rocks. If I had it to do over again, I would have spent the extra $100 and got the BFGs.
You know, for wheeling Colo high country granite, the trouble I have always had was cut sidewalls. I have worn out a couple of sets of BFG MT's in the past on other rigs and never had a cut sidewall. I went to a MT knock off to save money, and again had the same problem. It's not like I can say I know too much about other brands, but to me the MT's are bullet proof.

I'm sure the sidewall construction has something to do with it but it always seemed to me that it had to do with the rubber compound as well. I think that once the sharp rock is able to break the surface of the tire, it has a good chance of cutting right on through. If the rubber doesn't allow that intial surface break than the tire has a chance to deflect around the rock and all you end up with is rock powder on the sides of you tires.

Using soft rubber to get better traction is, IMHO, a risky stratagy. If you go "Tall & Narrow" for better traction you need better rubber and with that, you get tougher sidewalls.

(What the heck, a little tire talk in the middle of a trail thread won't kill anybody)

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
OOOh I like this tire talk! (And it was too funny - so I added it in Miguel's title) Hope you all don't mind. LOL

But Troy did just start this new thread for Tire talk so we can finish it over there.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66684

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I run nothing but BFG AT's. of course i log well over 3000 miles a year in Baja so my tire choice is made by that fact. And you simply cannot beat the BFG AT's for baja. unless you go wiith the BFG Baja projects but i think they only come in like 35's and are over 500$ a piece.

Continental divide here i come!

Question- Deep water crossings???

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Hmm, deep water is relative in Colorado. We have our own definitions of waterways:

Rest of World = Colorado

Creek = Stream
Stream = River
River = Floodwaters
Puddle = Pond
Pond = Lake
Lake = Ocean

We have a few Creeks to cross... :D

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #18