TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking around for some ideas or products to get a cargo lamp shining back from the third brake light but I cant find anything available, im surprised. Does anybody know about one of these or have any ideas to make one? Are there any from other tacomas or older pickups?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thats awesome thanks alot! Bicycle reflectors who ould have thought? those might come in handy alot now... thanks

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yeti said:
Hey thats awesome thanks alot! Bicycle reflectors who ould have thought? those might come in handy alot now... thanks
No problem, just let me know how hard it is if you decide to do it. I've been planning on doing it for a while now, I just haven't had the time. Good luck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
01tacoTRD said:
There is a mod for it here http://ttora-ne.com/newsite/main.htm It is under electronics
Don't know how hard it is though
That seems like a easy way to do it. I thought one of the other articles on that site was interesting, but I don't really understand if it would do what I think it should do. It was the article on the front turn signal conversion. Poorly written, but interesting. Gotta love tweakin on the truck...HEHEHE

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah that turn signal mod takes the wire that goes down to the turn signal and runs it up to a dual filament bulb that you mount into your parking light housing, so that normaly when your parking lights are on the dimmer filament is lit then when the signal flashes the brake filament flashes on. Its the same bulb and idea as your brake lights, one dual filament bulb with one filament for parking light the other for the brake light.

So after your done if you cut off the wire to your normal turn signal in the bumper you wont have a signal down there. its a good idea for guys with aftermarket bumpers... id splice it (or add a relay) and run both turn signals, one in the bumper other in the parking light.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeti said:
Yeah that turn signal mod takes the wire that goes down to the turn signal and runs it up to a dual filament bulb that you mount into your parking light housing, so that normaly when your parking lights are on the dimmer filament is lit then when the signal flashes the brake filament flashes on. Its the same bulb and idea as your brake lights, one dual filament bulb with one filament for parking light the other for the brake light.

So after your done if you cut off the wire to your normal turn signal in the bumper you wont have a signal down there. its a good idea for guys with aftermarket bumpers... id splice it (or add a relay) and run both turn signals, one in the bumper other in the parking light.
I'd like to do that mod, but that guys instructions are horrible. Be nice is somebody did a better write up with pics. I have a ARB bumper, so doing that might be perfect.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TheChiefSinner said:
I'd like to do that mod, but that guys instructions are horrible. Be nice is somebody did a better write up with pics. I have a ARB bumper, so doing that might be perfect.
Yeah just do a search for the turn signal mod in this forum and youll find a good link to a writeup... here i found it for you http://hong.freewebpage.org/sig_bumper.html

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeti said:
Yeah just do a search for the turn signal mod in this forum and youll find a good link to a writeup... here i found it for you http://hong.freewebpage.org/sig_bumper.html
So, I feel like I have hijacked this thread now...oh well too late...

I have the ARB, and wondering if I can just splice and use both ARB turn signals and do this mod at the same time. I'm just concerned that the extra lights might blow a fuse or something. I need to search more and ask questions less I guess.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its cool with me that you dont search much, neither do I. So your question about the extra power needed, id say run a relay but then youd need a relay on each blinker side and it would just be a pain and not really worth it. One way to make yourself feel better about the time money and all the wire you spent on that job would be to run the bumper and the parking light blinker off the relay instead of just the extra bubl off the relay, then at least I would feel like the relay is actually doing something.

If you think about it, the blinkers are on for a moment right? So I bet the wiring was designed to carry the current in the same way say your headlight wire sizes were chosen, But the since the blinker is only on for a moment it doesnt ever get a chance to overheat its wiring unlike a oad on all the time, so my guess is that it would be safe to just add another bulb onto the same wiring. And! if you wanted to be all safe about it find some LED bulbs! yeah those would work great, theyd barely use any power at all. If you dont use led's youll probably have to get a bigger fuse too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeti said:
Its cool with me that you dont search much, neither do I. So your question about the extra power needed, id say run a relay but then youd need a relay on each blinker side and it would just be a pain and not really worth it. One way to make yourself feel better about the time money and all the wire you spent on that job would be to run the bumper and the parking light blinker off the relay instead of just the extra bubl off the relay, then at least I would feel like the relay is actually doing something.

If you think about it, the blinkers are on for a moment right? So I bet the wiring was designed to carry the current in the same way say your headlight wire sizes were chosen, But the since the blinker is only on for a moment it doesnt ever get a chance to overheat its wiring unlike a oad on all the time, so my guess is that it would be safe to just add another bulb onto the same wiring. And! if you wanted to be all safe about it find some LED bulbs! yeah those would work great, theyd barely use any power at all. If you dont use led's youll probably have to get a bigger fuse too.

I have some projects to do before this one, but if I do it, I will make sure to take lots of pictures and do a tacoma tips and tricks write up that makes sense.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've mounted a license plate light to the bedrail of my truck to light up the bed area. I planned to add additional lights to the inside of the toolbox if needed, but I haven't needed them yet. I added the bed light to the rear spotlight I added a while back (under the bumper).

Daniel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts