TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I just finished changing my carrier bearing. The old one was [email protected]#@%. Now I'm getting a strange whining noise from underneath there. Do they have to be lubed up somehow?
96 EX Cab 4x4 3.4L manual.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,520 Posts
Did you torque it properly?

Driveshaft center support bearing: 134 ft-lbs to set, then loosen, then 51 ft-lbs

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I did 134lb to start, then backed off and retorqued to 60lb. Is it maybe just the rubber rubbing?

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
OK, I just finished changing my carrier bearing. The old one was [email protected]#@%. Now I'm getting a strange whining noise from underneath there. Do they have to be lubed up somehow?
96 EX Cab 4x4 3.4L manual.
Mine did the same thing when it was replaced. Added some grease and the squeek/whinning when away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok,one more question then. Those 2 little machine bushings in there. Does one go on either side of the carrier bearing, or both on the nut side?

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Best I remember one on each side. So I am assuming since you are getting a whinning noise that you didn't put it back together right and one side is on too far and is now rubbing. So its probably best if you redo it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts