TTORA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my carrier (support) bearing about 6 months ago. I followed the directions and torque specs from the dealer. I searched here to double check everything. The first one would start a high pitched whine at about 20 mph. So I took it off and the auto parts store replaced it, then it worked fine. Today, 6 moths later, it starts again. 20 mph starts to whine/squel, no vibes, nothing else funny. I could not get a straight answer about greasing it or not. The bearing is not a greasable type, but I put some in around the bearing anyways, 6 months ago.

What I am asking is, does someone know for sure that it needs to be greased? Had any similar problems with this bearing because it's not from the dealer. I know that it is fairly new to the place I bought it from.

I just do not want to have to do this every 6 months or so. I am thinking of taking it off, returning it and buying it from the dealer. I would still like some info. to help me with installing the new one, thanks.

truck info. 00 4x4 "3 lift.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
How much lift do you have in the rear? Is your axle shimmed?

Generally they fail due to poor drivetrain angles that twist/flex and destroy the rubber. It does not need to be greased, all you did was introduce excess grease to the rubber, possibly accelerating it's breakdown. 6 months tells me there's a bigger problem, but since it's not a Toyota part you never really know. Buy one Toyota one next time, instead of two (or more) aftermarket ones. ;)

Your profile isn't filled out, so are you in Texas or what? Does anyone know you? If so, perhaps you can get someone to eyeball it for you.

·
Registered
314 Posts
When i installed my new one, everytime I tightened it it work turn crooked, so I finally held it straight and tightened it. That caused it to squel anytime I accelerated. So I got back under and tightened it and let it position itself crooked again and that fixed the problem. From the center to the rear it's not straight, it's kinda angled to the rear carrier. Me making it square caused stress, therefore the squel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts