TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the deal. I need to replace my cat. and was looking to find one at a local scrap yard the problem is they have no Taco's around here but there is some other Toyota models.
My question is are there any other Toyota models that use the same cat. as the Tacoma and if so what models. I'm sure there is some Toyota guru in here that would know this.

Oh yah, my rig is a 95.5 with a single cat.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Any Taco through 98 should fit fine. Starting in 99 they started putting dual inline cats on some trucks. Anyway, any Taco single cat should bolt right up.

4Runner single cats will not fit. On the 4Runner the single cat systems had the cat built into the downpipe.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
why not buy a "universal cat" from like napa and have muff shop put it in? as long as it passes emmisions right? :2cents:

·
Registered
186 Posts
BOVADS said:
why not buy a "universal cat" from like napa and have muff shop put it in? as long as it passes emmisions right? :2cents:
Depends where you are and what emmision testing is required. A cat shaped empty metal box would pass a visual test. Wouldn't do it on my own rig but the price is right...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Gadget said:
Any Taco through 98 should fit fine. Starting in 99 they started putting dual inline cats on some trucks. Anyway, any Taco single cat should bolt right up.

4Runner single cats will not fit. On the 4Runner the single cat systems had the cat built into the downpipe.
My 99 2.7L has only 1 cat. Was it state specific or something?

~Miguel

·
Registered
427 Posts
i have a 98 with a single cat and wanted to put a magna flow or simply drop the cat but the shop refused to touch the o2 sensor cause i was gunna go to stainless piping but i settled for a 14" magna flow dumped after the muffler and it sounds like crap alot if resonating

im wanting to drop the cat and run a 40 series flow master keeping 2.25 piping just go to stainless .............it is a 3.4L

not to jack the thread but any suggestions?

·
Registered
427 Posts
bump?

do i need that o2 sensor to run a high flow cat

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
As far as i know the Toyota cat is a high flow.
The rear O2 sensor does nothing for fuel trim so it should't hurt to remove it but it will cause a cel.
You can get a emulator from URD to get rid of the cel though.

·
Registered
427 Posts
BLADE PILOT said:
As far as i know the Toyota cat is a high flow.
The rear O2 sensor does nothing for fuel trim so it should't hurt to remove it but it will cause a cel.
You can get a emulator from URD to get rid of the cel though.
what your saying is it shouldnt effect it but more less have the engine light come on

gadget?

·
Registered
191 Posts
The rear O2 sensor is just a cat monitor sensor. It will not effect your trucks performance. It will only throw a PO420 (cat ineffecianty code) if it is removed, or if it senses that the cats arent working properly (or not there lol) The first O2 sensor is the air/fuel ration sensor, it IS very important. I wouldnt risk driving a truck without that sensor, (unless you have switched over to a complete stand alone system) and if it is damaged or worn out your truck will run like a$$.

·
Registered
427 Posts
my buddy has no cat and 40 series on his mazda and it soudns really good

1 - 13 of 13 Posts