TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Tacoma xtra cab 4WD. My check engine light came on, took it to autozone, discovered my catallytic converter is "inefficient". I love going off road and am curious about recommendations to upgrade my exhaust and maybe gain some power along with a sweet, deep sound. Any recommendations or things to avoid?

·
Registered
401 Posts
magnaflow highflow cat It might not change your sound to much, but it does give a little more performance and its cheaper to put on that a stock on. I bought mine and had it put on my old car for about $140 ish.

·
Registered
279 Posts
BTW, when I replaced my cats I got the muffler shop to cut and weld in a new one for $30 per cat, just to give you an idea of what you are looking at for a fix

·
Registered
427 Posts
well i love the sound of my 14" magna flow that should give you the sound your looking for also i seen flow master came out with a diamond plated offroad muffler might wanna check that one out

·
Registered
427 Posts
anyone else heard about that diamond plated muffler i think they said it was an offroad series or something i dont know much i just seen it anyone? is this new or old news?

·
Registered
879 Posts
echo180 said:
I have a 2000 Tacoma xtra cab 4WD. My check engine light came on, took it to autozone, discovered my catallytic converter is "inefficient". I love going off road and am curious about recommendations to upgrade my exhaust and maybe gain some power along with a sweet, deep sound. Any recommendations or things to avoid?
Just curious what engine you have? If you research into this a bit you'll find that that particular code can also indicate a bad O2 sensor, and the cat isn't necessarily bad. In my case (2.7) it was caused by a cracked exhaust manifold. A new cat didn't fix mine. I put on a nice LCE header, and its been code free for the first time in a year.

·
Registered
680 Posts
azredtaco said:
Just curious what engine you have? If you research into this a bit you'll find that that particular code can also indicate a bad O2 sensor, and the cat isn't necessarily bad. In my case (2.7) it was caused by a cracked exhaust manifold. A new cat didn't fix mine. I put on a nice LCE header, and its been code free for the first time in a year.

X2

·
Registered
279 Posts
tacoma2k said:
i had that happen on my old 2000,was a code PO420,turned out to be the rear o2 sensor and not the cat..might want to get another opinion before you buy cat..
Yeah, that code sucks, I ended up replacing both sensors, then the rear cat, and finally fixed the front cat which was the whole problem to begin with.

·
Registered
530 Posts
01tacoTRD said:
Yeah, that code sucks, I ended up replacing both sensors, then the rear cat, and finally fixed the front cat which was the whole problem to begin with.
Damnit man,that was an expensive fix :eek:

·
Registered
279 Posts
tacoma2k said:
Damnit man,that was an expensive fix :eek:
Yeah, the cost of sensors weren't too bad from trdparts4u.com, but all in all I spent probably around $400 to fix the damn problem so I could pass inspection. Aftermarket cats are way cheaper than the $1000 the dealer wanted for the front cat

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That was the code. P0420. What should I try replacing first? My engine is 3.4L V6. Haven't noticed any mpg decline. The sound of my engine does sound a little higher pitch than normal.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
echo180 said:
before you start buying a bunch of new parts, check this: ;)
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49653&highlight=p420

·
Registered
530 Posts
echo180 said:
That was the code. P0420. What should I try replacing first? My engine is 3.4L V6. Haven't noticed any mpg decline. The sound of my engine does sound a little higher pitch than normal.

If i were you,I'd take it to the dealer and spend $65 or so on to let them tell you Excatly what needs to be replaced,that way your not wasting money on something that you might not need..Just my :2cents: ..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts