TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i just ordered a magnaflow cat for my 96 tacoma but it doesnt fit so im returning it and looking for a differnt alternative. i found this website from searching http://www.catalyticconverter.net/default.asp my main question is that even though i am in ca can i buy one of their fed emmissions cat since its the only one listed for my year and still pass smog? whats the difference between the california cats and the others? any info on this would be great. thanks

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would talk to a local exhaust shop and get there opinion. I think Cali cats are diffrent but i couldnt tell you why. You should be able to use any cat for a tacoma from 95.5 to 2000....or get one from the dealer or a oem part supply'er.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
to get one installed around here its gonna cost like 450. who knows what the dealer will charge for the part

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
I'm surprised that Magnaflow even sent you one. Unless they have changed the law it is illegal to sell aftermarket cats for OBDII vehicles in the Peoples Republic of California. You must get one from the dealership for the outrageous price of around $700.

You can get a Catco direct fit from Summit Racing for your model year. You didn't say the engine model etc. but for my 95.5 the Catco number is 9067. It's about $130.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...9067&N=700+400320+4294867423+115&autoview=sku

If you don't have the V6, they have one for the four popper too.

The trouble is they can't send it to you here because of the stupid CA law. Last I checked it was a $10K fine. You can either get someone out of state to get it and ship it to you or you could just take a little drive over to Reno and pick one up at Summit over there. If you pop in in over there, there is not one damn thing they can do about it because Reno is still in the USA not the PRC. I'm about to go get one myself.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm surprised that Magnaflow even sent you one. Unless they have changed the law it is illegal to sell aftermarket cats for OBDII vehicles in the Peoples Republic of California. You must get one from the dealership for the outrageous price of around $700.

You can get a Catco direct fit from Summit Racing for your model year. You didn't say the engine model etc. but for my 95.5 the Catco number is 9067. It's about $130.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...9067&N=700+400320+4294867423+115&autoview=sku

If you don't have the V6, they have one for the four popper too.

The trouble is they can't send it to you here because of the stupid CA law. Last I checked it was a $10K fine. You can either get someone out of state to get it and ship it to you or you could just take a little drive over to Reno and pick one up at Summit over there. If you pop in in over there, there is not one damn thing they can do about it because Reno is still in the USA not the PRC. I'm about to go get one myself.
lol well summit sent me a magnaflow cat but it didnt fit hopefully the catco will do the trick. thanks alot

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
lol well summit sent me a magnaflow cat but it didnt fit hopefully the catco will do the trick. thanks alot
if that doesn't work I have a set of OE cats from the truck that Steve Nivens canibalized for his cab swap...around 4k miles on them ;)

but, I had ordered a cat from Summit as well and they sent it w/o any problems...figured out how to utilize my OE one so sent it back for refund.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cats

ALWAYS use the OEM cat or an equivalent. It will make tuning and driveability perfect and reliable. Your engine was designed, and your ECM programmed to work with a catalyst of a certain effiency only.:cool:

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if that doesn't work I have a set of OE cats from the truck that Steve Nivens canibalized for his cab swap...around 4k miles on them ;)

but, I had ordered a cat from Summit as well and they sent it w/o any problems...figured out how to utilize my OE one so sent it back for refund.
alright cool, if somthing happens with this one ill be pm'ing you for sure. thanks alot guys

·
Registered
773 Posts
I had the same problem with my magnaflow. I ordered it through my local performance shop. It was supposed to be a direct replacement but the inlets were too small to fit over my exhausts outlets. Instead of shipping it back they cut the flanges and welded on larger one's. It was still about 2-3inches short but I made it work.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I had a company send a cat to my address in the southern province of the PRC. No questions asked, no restrictions. Direct bolt in replacement. Less than $200 shipped.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
ALWAYS use the OEM cat or an equivalent. It will make tuning and driveability perfect and reliable. Your engine was designed, and your ECM programmed to work with a catalyst of a certain effiency only.:cool:
a quality aftermarket cat of the same or better efficiency will perform just as well as OE...it just won't last as long. ;)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
IMO this is nothing that a welder and a little bit of scrap exhaust tubing won't fix. Have fun.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Idiot, he's in Cali not the backwoods of Arkansas and so are you. Now be a good little boy and go lock yourself up then toss the key away. LOL

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Maybe they have changed that fucked up law then. There is something very wrong when something is perfecly legal and logical in 49 states but not in this one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts