TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure vibration in the steering wheel starting at around 50mph would be a tire balancing issue. I just wanted to see if there's a chance that something else could cause the same symptoms.

I have Duratracs in a 285/75 16 on my 02. For some reason no matter how many times America's tire does a re balance they never get rid of the shake. Its bad enough now that I try to avoid getting on the freeway. It's at its worst 50-70 mph.

The strangest thing is that it was pretty minor, bearable, up untill they did a basic rotation then it got worse. I've taken it back since and no improvement. I'm planning on going back today but had considered getting the alignment checked first to rule that out but I don't believe that the alignment being out would cause this issue.

Every car I've had tires put on from them I've had to take back for a re balance right away. Our lexus was fine after a re balance but our honda still has vibes even after a re balance.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. They did a "road force balance" today and seems to have improved, not sure if they're perfect but a definite improvement. I was planning on getting an alignment tomorrow to rule that out and I was thinking of getting them to dial in some more castor incase that has something to do with the steering vibe. Here's how it was set 2 years ago.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
From what I've experienced, most larger off-road style truck tires are pretty tough to balance perfectly without a ton of weight and the shops will usually try to throw the most naturally unbalanced 2 of your 4 tires on the rear axle and the most balanced two on the front to reduce the amount of vibration that you can feel.

If you did a tire rotation you probably swapped the least balanced ones from the rear up to the front and now notice the vibration through the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds similar to what one of the employees said to me once when I brought it in, "they are offroad tires that arent made to be balanced" haha.

What you described might be the case but these are an all terrain tire, not what I consider a large aggressive offroad tire, they are used on thousands of vehicles on the road. If they can't be balanced they shouldn't be sold. Obviously most people are going to want to get the most life out of the tires and rotations are nessasary for that.

I've been in rigs with much larger tires, Irok's and steel wheels that didn't have this kinda of shake. Anyways, at the moment it seems the road force balancing helped some.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My son had the same problem with his 05 Tacoma. It helped to "road force" balance the off road tires but the problem would persist. Finally he switched to a different tire (as aggressive with same qualities as other tires) and it got rid of problem. It was tiresome having problem with balancing them. Problem solved. Sold old tires for $100.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
What wheels are you running? At my Discount Tire (same company as Americas Tire) we have specific equipment for the OE wheels that come on 95.5+ Tacoma's, 4Runners, and all the other Toyota trucks/ SUVs that use the 6x5.5 and even the 5x150 Lug pattern.
Oe wheels are the hardest to get balanced perfectly. If they use the wrong cone to seat the wheel on the balancer, it'll zero out but will still vibrate on the vehicle.
Road force can help but it's not always the answer.. Especially on a Toyota truck or SUV.
I'm betting they're simply using the wrong equipment and they don't know any better.

I will say that Goodyear duratracs don't have the best track record from what I've seen. But, I've personally balanced out many 35+" MT's and AT's (of all brands) and can get anything to quit vibrating. I can do 90 MPH in my truck with 37" GY MTR's and don't have any vibrations.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm frustrated now, the main reason for getting an alignment was to adjust more caster in, instead I got the opposite :banghead:. I was given the "because it's lifted the castor adjustment is maxed out".
Doesn't really make sense since it had more castor when I brought it in. I think he was stuck on getting the camber in the center of the range and said screw caster. I would rather have a little negative camber and more caster arrgg.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts