TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After using my Alpine CD player, CDA-9853, since 2005..it's time to retire her and go mechless :cool:

I just ordered the mechless audio receiver by Pioneer MVH-X560BT....for you none audio tech people...it has no CD player. I really do not remember the last time I used mine in the truck. It can Bluetooth audio, 3 pairs of RCA preamps for my multi channel-amplifier, USB and an AUX input...plus other cool stuff. I still wish audio manufacturers would go truly preamp receiver... The last great one was from Soundstream's tape player and Alpine's CD version...I had both.

The other item I bought is a CB by Uniden 980SSB.. It is DIN sized, so no issues to fit under my receiver... Or above it.... Humm....This one has weatherband, sideband (not that I will use) and a built in SWR meter. No longer will I need to plug mine in to SWR my CB.

Both should arrive next week....then install them during the weekend.
:D

My bad - NOT DIN sized... closer to DIN, but still larger.. :(

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I'm interested in seeing the CB and your setup. I have used CBs in Oregon and would like one here. IF I can find others who have them or friends who would get one.

·
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is my current cb/cd receiver setup

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I was looking at the sony version of this, I like that it is din size face but half the depth. Perfect for first gen runners ! Going to check out the Cb also, I moved my gauges that were going under radio to inclinometer cover and yanked tilt meter crap

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
I had that same Cobra radio shoe horned into my dash for a while but it crapped out or something so I replaced it. As I remember it was just a bit too fat but I got it in with a little persuation. Later I replaced it with Midland 72 something or other that was a bit easier to fit but I don't think that model is made anymore.
I remember having to change the antenna connector on the Midland because it was just a bit too deep but that was OK because I replaced the connector with an inline pigtail so I can hook up an SWR meter for antenna tuning all that much easier now. It inline is tucked up into the center console next to the gear shift.

You'd think the shit for brains that make CB radios would get a clue and make them the standard 2" X 7" Din size to make installing them all the easier but the idiots usually make them either a quarter inch too big or too small to fit the DIN space. Most CBs are mostly air inside so it's not like it would be at all hard to do or anything. DUH!! I guess the only market they think about is truckers so it simply doesn't dawn on them to make the radio fit other vehicles too.
If they had any friggin sense at all they'd make a CB/FRS radio that would fit a DIN slot. It would be easy enough to do and not exactly rocket science but they might have to put their minds to it and think about it for a change. Much too difficult a task for most Americans these days.

·
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very true Dick, that after all these decades of the audio Manufacturer's made the switch it the DIN standard... And when overseas manufacturers also follow the DIN standard...you would think that to make even MORE MONEY, the US companies would follow suit...well at least Uniden is trying.
The one I am buying, is slightly smaller than the full sized CB, but slightly larger than DIN.
I know I will most likely will need to trim my bezel...we shall see. ;)

·
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Received my stuff...the Uniden 890 SSB specifications states it measures 7 1/4 W x 2 1/4 H x 7 1/2 D.
I did an eyeball line up and it looks like only 1/16" Wider and Taller.
Some trimming will be needed, but nothing like an old style CB
If I get home on time tomorrow, I may try to do the install.... but it will go in during the weekend at the latest.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have a midland CB in the ashtray location on the Taco and under the receiver on the 4runner. I cut the DIN pocket down to size to fill the gap.

·
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Started the redo this afternoon.
Removed my old CD player and CB.
Did some rewiring and dry fitted the new stuff.
I will need to trim the bezel to allow the cb to fit.
The only real bummer is that the depth of the cb will make it stick out if I mount it on the bottom.
If I mount the cb on top of the receiver, it should work.
I will look at it again tomorrow after work.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Don't know which CB you're using but I had the same problem with the bottom slot. If the antenna connector is your only problem you can replace it with a pig tail and go with an inline connector for the antenna. That way you can run the pigtail up into your center console and make hooking up a SWR meter for antenna tuning all the easier.

You can use something like this. http://www.wearecb.com/procomm-pl259-to-female-muhf-adapter.html?gclid=CO3su9fC3bwCFURk7AodRBEAAw

Just hack the male connetor off of one end and solder directly to the PC board being absolutely sure that you get a good connection from cable shield to the chassis and do something for strain relief.

The only real bummer is that the depth of the cb will make it stick out if I mount it on the bottom.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
:worthless:suicide:

·
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
..... I will need to trim the bezel to allow the cb to fit.
Don't know which CB you're using but I had the same problem with the bottom slot. If the antenna connector is your only problem you can replace it with a pig tail and go with an inline connector for the antenna. That way you can run the pigtail up into your center console and make hooking up a SWR meter for antenna tuning all the easier.

You can use something like this. http://www.wearecb.com/procomm-pl259-to-female-muhf-adapter.html?gclid=CO3su9fC3bwCFURk7AodRBEAAw

Just hack the male connetor off of one end and solder directly to the PC board being absolutely sure that you get a good connection from cable shield to the chassis and do something for strain relief.
I must have been too tired or hungry or just a dumb ass.. :). You are right Dick, it was the antenna connector.
On my other CB I had a right angle connector.
I tried it again and it goes in more, but that mod to a pig tail would be cherry... But I rather not do it, do not trust myself. :p

:worthless:suicide:
Yeah yeah yeah... Took some pics this early eve. Did some trimming, lots of trial, trim a little, repeat process... I am about 95% there...still need to do more tomorrow and finish it all too.
I will post some pics tonight, after getting them off my phone.

edit: forgot to mention this CB has a built in SWR meter

·
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
some photos....

some pics :D

Semi side view to see how much the CB sticks out with out the right angle connector.

Mic for the Mechless receiver - the Pioneer unit is bluetooth for phones, so i can talk hand free :)

So how do i do a hands free call?
With my RAM spider holder... err "X-Grip"

So tomorrow, I will finish trimming the bezel.
Hook everything up and see how much I will hate seeing the CB stick out that far.
If i do, I guess I will go the pigtail way.
It will be interesting, because this CB is has surface mount chips, instead of the thru-hole. Hope the antenna connection is still thru-hole.
I would think it was, because of the torque used to tighten the connector.
We will see.

Edit: Found some photos on the inter web, looks like I can pig tail the antenna connector if need be.

·
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damn... that took a long time.
3 hrs this morning of more trimming, fitting, trimming, fitting....
It now all mounted and working!
Here are some pics.

Re-using my right angled cb antenna connector

The Pioneer MVH-X560BT radio mounted on the factory brackets

Here you can see how much only one side of the brackets flex out to accommodate the width of the Uniden 908SSB

My final version of trimming the crap out of the bezel.
Front...

Rear....

Final fit... CB still sticks out about 1-inch. :cool:

I opted not to install the Pioneer bezel or use the slide in metal sleeve it comes with.... it just would not fit with the CB.

Now the real fun part of programing, SWRing everything... need a beer and read the manual more. Hope to get that done this afternoon.
So far I was able to pair it up via BT on my phone... music goes thru nicely... phone works too.
The USB is a charger too... so I routed the cable to my RAM mount to be able to charge. play music without draining the phone's battery! :D

If I had to do anything different is to spend even more money to get the TUFFY center console that allows the CB to be mounted inside it. Maybe that is a future project.

·
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Few days after installing my new CB, I could not get the SWR below 1.5..... I pulled my meter out and try to find the grounding fault... Well it turned out my coax cable had its sheathing torn and it was grounding onto a sheet metal edge.
So what do I do... Go buy a Wilson 1000 antenna, mag mount. A couple hours later of figuring out how to route the cable into the cab, my SWR is now perfect.
Any reason to buy something new is okay with me... ;)

So why a Wilson 1000, I use to own a K40 back in the 80s.. And loved it... That was a roof mount on my Ranger. Yes, I know that K40 and Wilson are now owned by the same company...:D so I figure I will try the Wilson. Heard great things about them, plus with just a stainless steel whip... No issues of damage.

It works great on AM and the Weather channels. I have not ventured yet to the SSB.

So now I have an old CB and a Wilson Silver Flex 4ft as backups.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
CBradioforum recomended the Uniden 880 and the wilson 1000 as a good starting setup for me.

How solid is the antenna? It will get hit all day by low branches where I wheel,

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
I've had good luck with a K40. But then I'm partial to the K40 because I know the people who made it and watched it being born. Yeah, it was a long time ago.

CBradioforum recomended the Uniden 880 and the wilson 1000 as a good starting setup for me.

How solid is the antenna? It will get hit all day by low branches where I wheel,

·
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

The magnet is very strong, hard to break free.
Now if you mount it on the roof, the only way for it to break free is if the tree limb you hit is basically on your roof, it may knock it free.... That tree limb would have to be at least 3" diameter and near the tree's main trunk.

I mounted mine on my tool box.... So all that would hit is the whip.

edit - - added some pics

1 - 19 of 19 Posts