TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time to ditch the little hand held unit i have becuase its just not working well enough. I'd like to add a 4' firestick antenna to whatever CB radio I get. The issue is I'm limited on mounting locations on the truck with the use of a cap in the winter, i use it to haul lumber for work so the bed and rear bumper is out and I dont want it on the roof with all the really narrow trails in NE and I dont really want to stick it on the front bumper. I no longer use the radio antenna because I only use Siris radio or Pandora on my cell phone. Whould I hinder the performace of the 4 foot antenna by mounnting the base behind the front fender where the stock radio antenna mounts and run it through the stock radio hole in the fender with a gromet insulating/protecting the antenna? Would the fender insulate the antenna from a signal essentially cutting the length of the antenna by the amount under the fender hole? Should I just get a shorter antenna and use a bracket mounted from under the hood to mount the antenna? I think 4' from the top of the hood area is too tall for me. Thoughs and ideas are greatly appreciated.

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Don't be bashful, just drill a hole in the roof and mount it in the center of the cab roof. You get a nice even omnidirectional radiation pattern that way.
Be sure to add some sort of doubler to beef up the skin if you do go with a roof mount though. And don't forget to make a good clean ground and tune the antenna when you're done with the mounting.
I'm running a K40 which is quick and easy to take off when I don't need to use the CB.

Its time to ditch the little hand held unit i have becuase its just not working well enough. I'd like to add a 4' firestick antenna to whatever CB radio I get. The issue is I'm limited on mounting locations on the truck with the use of a cap in the winter, i use it to haul lumber for work so the bed and rear bumper is out and I dont want it on the roof with all the really narrow trails in NE and I dont really want to stick it on the front bumper. I no longer use the radio antenna because I only use Siris radio or Pandora on my cell phone. Whould I hinder the performace of the 4 foot antenna by mounnting the base behind the front fender where the stock radio antenna mounts and run it through the stock radio hole in the fender with a gromet insulating/protecting the antenna? Would the fender insulate the antenna from a signal essentially cutting the length of the antenna by the amount under the fender hole? Should I just get a shorter antenna and use a bracket mounted from under the hood to mount the antenna? I think 4' from the top of the hood area is too tall for me. Thoughs and ideas are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Never had any luck with CB's, always such a poor signal, even mounted and tuned proper. Switched to HAM radios, and am never going back :D VHF>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CB

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Never had any luck with CB's, always such a poor signal, even mounted and tuned proper. Switched to HAM radios, and am never going back :D VHF>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CB
I have a $30 cobra, that mirror mount kit (extra long), spring and 3' firestik, never tuned it either.. seems to work fine. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Only trouble with that is finding someone to talk too while most everyone on a trail run has a CB.
It was just like a couple of picture phone projects I worked on, once you had one there was no one else you could call that had one too so what was the point? Both projects folded out of general disinterest in the product and both projects were backed by gubberments.
Yeah you can talk to other ham geeks that have a license but like as not they aren't on the trail run with you so in the end it's kinda pointless.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I got some mirror mount (dont remember what its called but its a 8inch long piece of metal with two holes in it) and drilled a hole in the bottom of my tool box and mounted the antenna to that. I have a 6ft steel whip that i got for free, it smacks into my tool box all the time and has never been tuned and works fine for trail use. Look in the link in my sig and the last few pictures of my shock mounts you can see the mount in the background on the right side of my tool box. I have mixed feelings about CBs but i got all the parts for free but the mount and cord, usually its one of your jackass friends who wont shut the hell up thinking they are a morning radio DJ and keying his mic with some shitty music playing in the background. Im fairly anti social though, and mostly leave it off and listen to music or talk to my pax, your results may differ.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd put it on the toolbox but I put a cap on for the winter and carrying lumber a lot so I'm trying to keep it away from the back of the truck. I want to set it up and leave it. I could mount it to the box and take the antenna off when not in use but let's face it I'm lazy and loose stuff so it needs to mounted and stay that way.

·
Registered
338 Posts

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
How flexible are these antennas? Can they handle getting bent over by trees and bushes on a tight trail?

I know there are many brands. Just in general, any thoughts.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
How flexible are these antennas? Can they handle getting bent over by trees and bushes on a tight trail?

I know there are many brands. Just in general, any thoughts.
I put a HD spring from a truck stop on my Firestik for those situations. Seems to work fine (occasionally smacks the cab.. oh well) See pic I posted above

1 - 16 of 16 Posts