TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my CB radio for my 03 taco, and i have a question running back and forth through my mind, single or dual antennas??? any1 out there know perhaps the pros and/or cons on either? thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
usually one is sufficient for your typical trail run where you aren't too far away from your buddies. depends what you're using it for, but again, running up some trails every weekend with a 4-5 ft fiberglass antenna mounted well on the outside of the truck usually gets me and my buddies a couple miles of range on the freeway in the city on the way to the trails. my :2cents: is you don't need two for everyday wheeling.

·
Registered
460 Posts
nctaco06 said:
i just got my CB radio for my 03 taco, and i have a question running back and forth through my mind, single or dual antennas??? any1 out there know perhaps the pros and/or cons on either? thanks.
ive read and been told for co-phase (2 antennas) to work properly they need at least 7ft between them. i doubt your rig is that wide, i would run a single. you can put a "poser" antenna on the other side just for looks, ive never done it, but some say its a bad idea, it causes problems getting SWR correct.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Your truck isn't wide enough to run co phased antennas. You could if you mounted them fore and aft but then your radiation pattern would be primarily sideways.

·
Registered
305 Posts
where is the second best pace to mount the antenna seems like most of u use a magnetic roof mount?? i like a fixed antenna if i have room for the tool box to open i want to put mine on the corner of the bed up front maybe in the middle but might look dumb. i never open the sliding rear window. what do yall think about mounting locations???

·
Registered
460 Posts
cmize said:
where is the second best pace to mount the antenna seems like most of u use a magnetic roof mount?? i like a fixed antenna if i have room for the tool box to open i want to put mine on the corner of the bed up front maybe in the middle but might look dumb. i never open the sliding rear window. what do yall think about mounting locations???
no pro, but have alot of beginners experience, (try and say as simple as i can) radio waves when you transmit will be concentrated toward greatest metal mass. that said, center of roof is best location for all around. don't want roof mount? when i was running the Wilson sw-2000 trucker i mounted it on the back center of the tool box on the latch side, right where the label was. i ran a steel whip on side of box and same location of sw-2000. the center tool box worked the best of the two for me, but my Wilson-1000 magnet mount on the center roof powered by my galaxy dx-33 is dang near perfect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just mounted mine, i decided single is fine, i mounted one at three and a half inches from the outside of the bed, on the front rail of the bed against the cab, i tried center, but theres a bar directly underneath which allows no access for the antenna mount to go in, so the side works best. its just big enough for a 1/2 in hole! and clears my box when i open it up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
nctaco06 said:

go with a whip on the rear bumper, great reception... my 04 set up was perfect, lots of interference with my 06 and cant figure out why... all plastic truck???

see set up here and page 2 I think...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/624612/6

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Packoo said:
go with a whip on the rear bumper, great reception... my 04 set up was perfect, lots of interference with my 06 and cant figure out why... all plastic truck???

Nice work. I like the cb in the ash tray area.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i also mounted mine on my rear bumper. don't go with the ball mount. a couple of friends i have used them and they didn't work very well

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
i mounted mine on top of my swing out tire carrier, its a fire stick with a spring mount, seems to work good. seems like all my buddies have nothing but problems with theirs cause they are to cheap/lazy to fix them

·
Registered
407 Posts
Put it anywhere that trips your trigger. As long as it's properly matched it'll receive and get out. Bed's good, bumper end is good, rooftop's good....here's my favorite for a clean install:

·
Registered
13 Posts
personally, i would just go with a 7ft fiberglass whip antenna mounted in the front right corner of your bed. looks kool, 7ft its really good signal, and its running right next to your cab which is probably made of metal (unless u got a fiberglass body put on) and i know some people believe that metal around your antenna amplifies your signal. im not sure if it does or not though

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Magnet mounts suck..........at least here i the midwest where we have trees to wheel around...........I have a 3' antenna on a magnetic base that sits on a steel plate in the middle of my over-the-rails toolbox and I bet I had to stop at least 4 or 5 times on my last trail ride to set the fucker back up because it got knocked off its plate......and i even upgraded it to a stronger magnet.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Full_Tilt_Fud said:
Magnet mounts suck..........at least here i the midwest where we have trees to wheel around...........I have a 3' antenna on a magnetic base that sits on a steel plate in the middle of my over-the-rails toolbox and I bet I had to stop at least 4 or 5 times on my last trail ride to set the fucker back up because it got knocked off its plate......and i even upgraded it to a stronger magnet.
Try a launch [email protected] 5" high strength magnets connected by a triangular plate that supports the antenna. Rotate it to where two magnets are facing forward and a single magnet to the rear.

http://ns13.webmasters.com/*pacific.us.fm/httpdocs/pacific2005/store/images/amlaunchpad.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
stole my idea!!

yeah I had that exact same mount idea! Had some off-brand cb which didnt tx worth a shit, velcro'd in! The velcro never quite held up though, and i decided to upgrade to a cobra 19?? i think is the model. Anyway, when I cut that back paneling with my soldering iron, I left that very top piece in tact. So this time instead of using velcro, i Zip-Tied it to that top piece and its been working GREATTTT. I like my new radio, too. Its back-lit orange so it matches the rest of my truck dash and my xm radio. I need to get either a right-elbow connector for the antenna, or make a pigtail, because its not all the way flush. Couldnt find my cam, ill take a pic soon though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts