TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I have a CB radio in my truck and I had such a hard time finding a place to install it. So I placed it by my clutch on that side panel. Right now I have a magnetic roof mount antenna which sucks. The cable from the antenna is scratching my roof like a mother. I bought an antenna from firestick.com but the antenna is so damn stiff and I wont be able to drive into parking garages or even my garage. I was planning on installing it on my hood with a bracket comeing from under the hood. I want to sell my antenna and the bracket and the wire that connects the antenna to the radio. I will post pictures of the stuff when I get a chance. So after all this b.s. I just wrote my question is where can I get a nice antenna, not to expensive? I want a whip/flexible antenna. My buddy on his wrangler has a 5 foot antenna that whips so he can go anywhere even if it is low. The antenna is like the car radio antenna but it whips. We don't know the name of the antenna so I am asking for my fellow Tacoma family to help me out. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Mudge

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
should have searched first. a ton pf post on this.

try a med to hvy duty spring. the wilson super flex ant can be bent back to toouch itself without breaking. wilson 500 has short whip and the 1000 is longer and better ant.

·
Good For You
3,442 Posts
Use a spring like Grumy said. Radio Shack has everything you are asking for. Sometimes they have to get the whip from the warehouse. I mounted mine right next to the bed hooks in the corner of the bed. It's been there for about 4 yrs and works great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you guys post some pictures of your set up even though I should have searched it. My bad guys.

Mudge

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mudge said:
Ok guys I have a CB radio in my truck and I had such a hard time finding a place to install it. So I placed it by my clutch on that side panel. Right now I have a magnetic roof mount antenna which sucks. The cable from the antenna is scratching my roof like a mother. I bought an antenna from firestick.com but the antenna is so damn stiff and I wont be able to drive into parking garages or even my garage. I was planning on installing it on my hood with a bracket comeing from under the hood. I want to sell my antenna and the bracket and the wire that connects the antenna to the radio. I will post pictures of the stuff when I get a chance. So after all this b.s. I just wrote my question is where can I get a nice antenna, not to expensive? I want a whip/flexible antenna. My buddy on his wrangler has a 5 foot antenna that whips so he can go anywhere even if it is low. The antenna is like the car radio antenna but it whips. We don't know the name of the antenna so I am asking for my fellow Tacoma family to help me out. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Mudge
get a FRANCIS AMAZER 5ft whip and use a fender mount one the drivers side (i put it on the driver side so it would look weird with my stereo antena close) I used a fender mount with a medium heavy spring. Hook it all up and get your standing wave checked im sure you have a c.b shop near you. most big truck shops can lead you in the right direction.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Get a Wilson 1000. Mine was $20 used. Put it on the roof. Its the absolute best place if you are concerned about getting out well, nothing beats the roof. Say you mount the antenna on your back bumper; most of your RF will be concentrated through the front of your vehicle and you will be "front heavy" with RF. Likewise, if you mount the antenna on the hood channel, much of your RF will be reflected out the back, and left or right depending on what side it's mounted on. And the wilsons are good antennas, I've made some long shots with mine. Also the coil unscrews and removes for theft protection/parking. Radio Shack sells this gummy stuff you can use that you can roll into a tiny ball and it will stick onto the truck and you can push the coax into it keeping it from moving around scratching your paint. Isnt your radio a pain down there on the floor? I have mine on the roof, you can see it the best, and it doesnt have to be blasting to hear it. Your better off with a whip antenna, fiberglass doesn't have the crisp audio that steel does, although aluminum is ideal but then your talking huge 7 foot antennas. The firesticks are great for convoy groups and around town but they usually wont get you out of state unless your running power and they are on the roof. I would love to put some pics of my equipment up here but its not letting me for some reason. I dont wheel my truck that much, I wheel it to get to the top of mountains and get out on my radio better to make long shots that are states away. My truck is more a mobile radio unit than a wheeling vehicle but sometimes you gotta get through some shat to get up there on those hills so i read this stuff, haha. Any questions or if i could e-mail you some of my pictures let me know. Oh yea, and dont cheap out on the coax. [email protected]

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Oh just keep replying... I'm not a mod... If I was... it would already be moved...

And yes... It should have been in the Electical or Newbie folder... This has nothing to do with 4X Tech...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Here is a few pics of my cb antennas, and my CB. I have the 3ft antennas, and they sit about a inch or so below the cab so I don't have to worry about shi* hitting them. I have the Cobra 19 DX mounted in the ash tray slot. Hope this helps ya. :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts