TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need a 5ft fiberglass one bc the last one broke in a car wash (i stupidly forgot to remove it).

any suggestions? i had a firestik non-tunable and it worked pretty good. how are firestik ii's or wilson silverloads?

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
i have the firestick 2 mounted on my toolbox, and i tested its strength, and i bent the mount before it broke

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tanKoma said:
i have the firestick 2 mounted on my toolbox, and i tested its strength, and i bent the mount before it broke
mine broke right where the fiberglass part is connected to the metal part of the antenna.

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
all i can say is that im pretty satisfied with the one i have now, id much rather have this than a whiplash antenna

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I have the 4' firestik mounted to the bedrail. I used a heavy duty spring on it. It smacks the garage door everytime I drive in or back out. It's been on for two years now and works great. It's mounted with a firestik bracket for the dodge dakota hood.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
peekay331 said:
i need a 5ft fiberglass one bc the last one broke in a car wash (i stupidly forgot to remove it).

any suggestions? i had a firestik non-tunable and it worked pretty good. how are firestik ii's or wilson silverloads?

wilsons are rated higher then firesticks. if a 4' would work you cna get a flexable one from wilson. if not might consider putting a spring on antenna.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
grumpy said:
wilsons are rated higher then firesticks. if a 4' would work you cna get a flexable one from wilson. if not might consider putting a spring on antenna.
hmmm, so wilson does not make a 4ft one?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
peekay331 said:
I've got the Wilson "Flex 4"; 4' antenna, tunable tip, short ground wire, and it's ultra flexible. I'm not sure on the construction of it, but it's got a rubberized coating on top of flexy fiberglass (?). You can almost tie this thing in knots.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
peekay331 said:
I also have the 4' Wilson flexy one. Works great, you can drag it on a tree and it will bend right in half then spring back up. It's stiff enough not to swing around all day but soft enough to move when needed.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
I'm not sure if it was just David's ghetto fab wiring job, but he is running a Wilson on his truck. You remember how scratchy that thing was all day. I'd recommend you stick with the Firestik II. Tried and true, that antenna is a workhorse.

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
peekay331 said:

I have a Firestick II 4' on the toolbox. 5' was a little tall for me and 4' receives and transmits fine. But whatever floats your boat. If you mount it on the bumper I can understand a 5'. ;)

·
Wile E. Coyote... Genius.
208 Posts
Scratchy audio is not generally related to the antenna. Most likely it is the PTT button on his mic that is dirty and causing his signal to be "scratchy" and cut out. Could also be that the mic cord is stressed and the wires inside are starting to fatigue and break.

I have a solidly mounted Wilson Flex 4' antenna and have had excellent service from it. I have beat that thing all to hell on my Land Cruiser and it has snapped right back with no damage at all.

Wilson "flex" antennas all the way man!!

Jody.

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
peekay331 said:

PS they make quick disonnects so you dont have to screw/unscrew if you remove it frequently.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GOT COPE? said:
PS they make quick disonnects so you dont have to screw/unscrew if you remove it frequently.
yea, should have invested in one of those. now i gotta get another $20 antenna.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
Outback said:
Scratchy audio is not generally related to the antenna. Most likely it is the PTT button on his mic that is dirty and causing his signal to be "scratchy" and cut out. Could also be that the mic cord is stressed and the wires inside are starting to fatigue and break.
Trust me, I'm keenly aware of scratchy audio issues. I just got done cleaning my Silver Star mic. I probably should have said 'cutting out', not neccessarily caused by a bad mic...

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Firestik and Wilson are the most popular with Tacoma owners.

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
peekay331 said:

i have a 3ft K40 tuneable tip for around town and a 4ft firestick fs for highway use. to be honest- i cant tell a difference in either in my range.

·
Registered
19 Posts
anybody have problems with getting thier order from these people. I placed my order over two weeks ago and got a confirmation, but they will not return e-mails and today I learned the phone number has been disconnected.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
I think I got the 5' K40 and it's awesome with the magnet mount on top of the cab. It's kinda tall and makes it look like an RC truck but it works great and never falls off!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts