TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just got a Cobra CB, get it in the truck, and my fuse blew. Put new fuse in it, and it worked. turn car off, then back on, blown fuse. We have also been checking it with my Sirius to make sure its not the CB. its an 06. The CB is cobra with a cigarette plug adapter. please help lol.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
ditch the cig plug adapter, they are crap, probably why the blown fuse too, it is bet to wire the cb directly to the battery, or to set it up with a relay so it gets switched power from somewhere

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
explanation on how to rig it directly to the battery? do u just put the red wire on the battery terminal and the black on chassis?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
you can, but you should really at least run a fuse somewhere on the positive terminal.....

i would wire it with its own circuit with a relay, using a switched circuit in the truck to trigger the relay, liek the power wire for the radio to trigger the relay

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so is there a guide to this? lol im know im retarded...but I think i understand,just wanna make sure. maybe a MS paint drawing or sumthing? lol

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
here is t3h ghettoness mspaint

red is power
green is a positive wire that is tapped into the switched power to the stereo in the cab - it is the trigger for the relay
the black arrow thingy is ground connection
the blue is the power from the relay to the cb, it has a fuse in the circuit to protect the cb(it is a positive wire)

Attachments

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,520 Posts
here is t3h ghettoness mspaint

red is power
green is a positive wire that is tapped into the switched power to the stereo in the cab - it is the trigger for the relay
the black arrow thingy is ground connection
the blue is the power from the relay to the cb, it has a fuse in the circuit to protect the cb(it is a positive wire)
Relay? A little overkill dont ya think? Why not just hook up to switched power and call it a day?

·
Registered
895 Posts
I don't see a point in a relay either. For offroad lights or other accesories that take up a lot of power you need a relay to run the current in a more direct path (which equals less resistance and consequently less loss of power) to the lights/accesories and also in order not to run all that current (usually 10A+) thru a switch that will probably burn out anyway if you run that much current thru it. But for 2A-5A that a CB uses a switch is all you need in my opinion. Just run power from the battery to a fuse, then to the switch, then to red wire of cb. And connect black wire of cb to a good ground point. You could go to Autozone and buy a mini "add-a-fuse" that you could stick into one of the empty slots in the fuse block inside the cab. This will give you a place to hold the fuse itself as well as connection to battery that is on only when the ignition key is in the "ACC" position.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Don't see the point of a switch either for that matter. The CB already has one!
x2

Sometimes you'll want the unit on with the switch off, and it's always good to isolate the power source from the rest of the vehicle wiring. Run both leads direct to the battery (useful as a filter) and route your CB wiring away from other vehicle wiring as well as the blower motor. If you do it that way, doesn't hurt to fuse the negative lead also.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Use two flat 5A fuses, one on each terminal/wire to the cb if you direct wire to the battery.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1057872570041469700MYWtzI

I did this and have had no problems. Use a firestik or wilson antenna though, the window mount/glass mount cb antennas aren't worth a crap.

An alternative, if you plan to do additional electrical mods to your truck, is to get a fuse block from Bass Pro Shops or any other sporting goods store and install it on the fender near the battery and wire it direct to the battery. Then you can wire your accessories to the fuse block and be worry free.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts