TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been through countless threads and websites but I cant really seem to find an answer. I recently pieced together my CB setup and with time off work began installing it. The problem I'm running into is my SWR readings are way to high. the setup includes:

-4FT CB Fiberglass Whip Antenna, 5/16" Inch Top Loaded (VANCO)
-UNIDEN PRO505XL Bearcat Compact CB Radio
-Diesel coax cable

power is running straight off the battery and I know I have good ground plane through the mount using this
http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Testing_Continuity.htm

I started with a 2ft antenna from the same VANCO, going with the 4ft helped a little but not much so I also installed a spring mount which also helped a little at this rate with the results I'm seeing ill need an 8ft antenna before I get good SWR numbers but I also know plenty of people run 4ft antennas with good results.

So this is where I turn to the forum for help is there an obvious problem I'm not seeing or something else I need to look at? I think I may just have a shitty antenna, I have heard its better to pair a good antenna with a shitty radio than vice versa is this true?

RADIO

MOUNT LOCATION

CHANNEL 1 READING

CHANNEL 40 READING

*also readings are being taken in open parking lot (although the didnt change from what they were in front of my house) doors and windows closed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Is your coax a pre-cut length? How did you deal with any extra coax? Don't form into a loop, but rather fold back and forth.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh yeh I did all that show

UPDATE:

Went to the local 4WP and picked up a firestik II antenna and with one adjustment I'm down to 1.3:1.3 across channels 1 and 40 and around 1 SWR on al other channels. I'm gunna write a short review on "VANCO" antennas you can buy at FRY's electronics.

Comparing the FRY'S antenna to the firestik is almost apples to oranges both are 4ft fiberglass antennas and thats where the similarities stop the firestick has 2-3x as many wraps as the VANCO antenna an the vanco does not have a tunable tip. The firestik is both more rigid and heavier than the vanco and just looks and feels better built. I bought the VANCO antenna for 9.99 at FRY's and the firestik for 18.99 at 4WP escondido, Ca so spend the extra 9 bucks and get more for your money.

thanks for the help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts