TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dug out an old radio, bought some new stuff from Walcott and got this:

Remove all this stuff to get under the headliner: Caution!! I f'ed up both visor retainers (the clippy things) yanking them out of their sockets. The release tabs are above the sheet metal and need to be piched from above the headliner.

Here's the view.

Pull wires

Sorry, no pics of the mounting plate. Simple 3/4 ply with a single bolt throught and tapped the bracket; tight enough to secure, but can rotate radio.

Replace mirror; notch headliner to clear wires, install antenna fitting

Wire up the radio, mount to bracket

Check wiring... no smoke = good.

Run cable, mount the antenna

·
Registered
779 Posts
nice install.. looks pretty clean.. I would have put the attena on the other side of the bumper though...

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Way to tear into that FJC! Be sure to get a tennis ball on that antenna as you may be in for a new turn signal lense on your first wheeling trip with it.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A-GUEST said:
nice install.. looks pretty clean.. I would have put the attena on the other side of the bumper though...
Yeah, I did that just to piss you off :D

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FJAggie07 said:
I would've ponied up the dough and bought the bandi mount from All-pro and put the antenna on the rear door...
Keep meaning to order one of those, but in the mean time, I got sumthin :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
hey fj, will i actually get to see this rig when I come to CO this summer..?

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Absolutely! Unless i blow it up first :D

When and where?

·
Registered
779 Posts
glenwood springs... have memory loss? ah not sure on timing yet.. get back to you on that... blow it up.. HA go ahead and try..

-Alex

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
2019 4RUNNER TRD Off-Road
9,051 Posts
Nice install and CB too!

Too bad it looks like your CB had more wheeling time than your FJ! :eek:

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Nice install...whats the cb mounted to, just the headliner??? Wonder how strong that is.

Bad antenna placement though. I have mine mounted there on my Tacoma (other side though, helps a lot while parking) and the reception SUCKS. You will find out that you create a bad "ground plane" with it located there. Your reception will be great in front of you, but will suck behind you. At least that was MY findings.

I have the Bandi mount on my FJC and its reception is over double/perhaps triple what my tacoma's is. And both rigs use the exact same cb, the cobra handheld.

Awesome job though on tearing up that interior....reminds me of when I did my stereo!

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thx andy, the cb mounting bracket is bolted through the headliner to a 3/4" plywood backing plate that's about 4x12". i keep hoping to remember to order a damn bandi mount, but damn work keeps me away from the damn phone during damn biz hours :mad: someday...

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TEJASYOTA said:
Nice install and CB too!

Too bad it looks like your CB had more wheeling time than your FJ! :eek:
The CB is circa 1997 and got broken in by three previous rigs, now it gets it's turn to break in a rig for a change:D

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
174 Posts
Angry Andy said:
Bad antenna placement though. I have mine mounted there on my Tacoma (other side though, helps a lot while parking) and the reception SUCKS. You will find out that you create a bad "ground plane" with it located there. Your reception will be great in front of you, but will suck behind you. At least that was MY findings.

I have the Bandi mount on my FJC and its reception is over double/perhaps triple what my tacoma's is. And both rigs use the exact same cb, the cobra handheld.
What is it about the Bandi mount that creates a better "ground plane"? Or I guess I should ask what is it about the front bumper mount that creates a bad ground plane?

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
garrett1478 said:
What is it about the Bandi mount that creates a better "ground plane"? Or I guess I should ask what is it about the front bumper mount that creates a bad ground plane?
Not exactly sure, Hytenor is the one who brought that point up to me, I forget his reasoning....

I think it all boils down to antenna height. My issue on my Taco, was that the antenna barely makes it to the height of the roof, plus I have a campershell. Therefore the vehicle impairs the reception. I dont want a 6' whip on there, cause my truck is tall enough already...and I dont fit in some parking garages.

I think fjcruiser has a LONG tall antenna, so I bet he doesn't have the issues that I do with my tacoma.

My bandi mount antenna is only 3', but at least 1/3-1/2 of it extends beyond roof level.

Thats my guess.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
Angry Andy said:
Not exactly sure, Hytenor is the one who brought that point up to me, I forget his reasoning....

I think it all boils down to antenna height. My issue on my Taco, was that the antenna barely makes it to the height of the roof, plus I have a campershell. Therefore the vehicle impairs the reception. I dont want a 6' whip on there, cause my truck is tall enough already...and I dont fit in some parking garages.

I think fjcruiser has a LONG tall antenna, so I bet he doesn't have the issues that I do with my tacoma.

My bandi mount antenna is only 3', but at least 1/3-1/2 of it extends beyond roof level.

Thats my guess.
Yep...

I think the Deckplate is a joke even for our year Tacoma's though. The dyno must have been done when the motor was started up, and the hood was probably open. The fan is also removing a lot of the heat to the back. What about when you are towing a load, or moving in traffic?

Even on the freeway, the IA temps are about 10 degrees higher. When I towed a load, the IA were 102 and it was 50 degrees out. That really doesn't help HP, and it really doesn't help with the longetivity of your motor...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Looks real clean! You gave me another idea to chew on for my CB. Mine's just sitting in the center console with wires going everywhere, and looking for a permanent home....

So does the microphone just hang from the roof?

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jacket said:
Looks real clean! You gave me another idea to chew on for my CB. Mine's just sitting in the center console with wires going everywhere, and looking for a permanent home....

So does the microphone just hang from the roof?
I'm still trying to find the mic hook in a large box full of "stuff", but when I do it will mount on the right (passenger side) of the radio. The mic plugs into the left face, so the cord will loop between the two points... at least that's the plan.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts