TTORA Forum banner

Cb issues need suggestions

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  cougfan316 
#1 ·
I've been working a shit ton of hours over the last few months. About a month ago my cab quit working face wouldn't light up. Figured that was simple and a lack of power to the radio. Then it would start working coming on but wouldn't receive signal or transmit. No audio. I just bought a uniden pro520 today wondering if the old one was going gunny bag inside. That one has the same issues too. Powers up, but no audio. So replace the antenna is my next guess. The old existing one is either a firestik or firestik 2.

#2 ·
be sure the PA switch is turned off...
and that the unit is wired per instructions

^ a simplistic suggestion, I know...
but I really didn't read a specific question asked :confused:

#3 ·
Yeah I'm pretty sure its wired up correctly. Black to ground and red to power. The coax is still terminated at the antenna end and screwed into the cb. Pa is off so I'm just trying to figure out what's the next logical piece to replace.

#4 ·
It does sound like a problem with the antenna or coax. Did you ever use an SWR meter and tune the antenna to the vehicle? Hook up an SWR meter and see what kind of reading you get. You can also use a multimeter to test for a possible short.

#7 ·
I haven't used a swr meter yet. If I turn up the knob on the far right (gain I think) I can get barely any sound. I've just been to busy to monkey with the damn thing. Will probably buy a new antenna and have it tuned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.