TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, somewhere out there I saw a CB radio head unit that perfectly fit into the under dash ashtray location in the Tacoma. I can't remember the manufaturer, part number, or any of that - the unit was just a little smaller than the size of a paperback novel. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just answered my own question. It's the UNIDEN 510XL... I think. I'd still confirmation or rebuttal on that, because I'm not sure.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey i have a cobra 19dx II or III and it looks like it would fit but i did not want to get rid of the tray instead i got rid of the empty din space in dash below my kenwood.It looks good either ways i have seen it.I found my cb at pep boys believe it or not and has worked good in all situations for the features and price of it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
How do these CB's actually "install" into the the ash tray opening? I need to get off my @ss & get a CB again.

·
Registered
460 Posts
i have a galaxy DX 33 which is extremely large. my dad is a truck driver and when i travel with my freinds we all talk CB and i just cant buy a punny little radio (no offense) i got use to that big radio where i can talk 30 miles while sittin still and 15-20 rollin depending on weather and stuff. but i cant find anywhere to mount it, its to heavy to roof mount like shown on offroad.com (toyota section) wont fit in glove box and is even to big to put under my radio so my only guess is on the passenger floor board beside teh shifter. if u guys got any advice let me know cuz i need it. and what is the best way to run ur antenna cord into ur truck cab also??
RENEGADE76254

·
Registered
301 Posts
4xClover said:
Remove the bracket that hold the ashtray in and most people use velcro to hold it up there.
Ahhh... so that's the trick. I'm assuming the radio is a pretty snug fit (on the sides) otherwise I wouldn't think velcro (or tape) would keep it there while wheeling. Time to go shopping. Ideas on where to find a good deal?

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
Cobra 19DXIII and Uniden 520XL seem to be the 2 most popular here. Radio Shack also has one that will fit in the ashtray, but I would go with one of the other two I mentioned.

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
i have a galaxy DX 33 which is extremely large. my dad is a truck driver and when i travel with my freinds we all talk CB and i just cant buy a punny little radio (no offense) i got use to that big radio where i can talk 30 miles while sittin still and 15-20 rollin depending on weather and stuff. but i cant find anywhere to mount it, its to heavy to roof mount like shown on offroad.com (toyota section) wont fit in glove box and is even to big to put under my radio so my only guess is on the passenger floor board beside teh shifter. if u guys got any advice let me know cuz i need it. and what is the best way to run ur antenna cord into ur truck cab also??
RENEGADE76254
run the cable under the carpet. If you have an x-cab, you can bring the cable in the rubber gromet it the back of the cab, drill a small hole through the compartment, or the screw hole for the cup holder may be big enough to run it through. Run the cable under the carpet to where it ends up past the center console.

I would recommend mounting the Galaxy on the back of the center console if you have one, or on the passenger side if the shifter console.

·
Registered
460 Posts
its too wide to fit on the back of the console, the seats hit it, it almost the size of the average cereal box. and passanger side of gearshift is about my only option. im supposed to get my antenna and stuff for Christmas so ill post up an install for those who are interested.
and i would go with cobra over uniden, alot more to easier to get serviced because everbody has a cobra and they are general trouble free plus they seem to have a further talkin distance than the unidens. i dont suggest a steel whip either, they look cool but are always in teh way on the trail. so i would run a Wilson 1000 or 2000 magnetic mount for the cobras, if u have a bigger radio like a galaxy or connex etc. i would run the 5000 b/c it is set up for large freguency variances and performs the best b/c it is able to transmit the power that the large radios make vs. the 1000 or 2000 which is made for cobra 19's and 25's.
hope that helps some folks out.
RENEGADE76254

·
Registered
469 Posts
Oppositeboy said:
Does anyone know if Bill's is still operational? I tried to order an antenna and a mount, but haven't gotten a response yet. The numbers listed on the website are both disconnected.

Now I don't know what to do about this. Do I go ahead and order from someone else?? I emailed bill's but no response to that either.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The radio itself doesn't let you talk 30 miles. It mostly has to do with the qualty of antenna, mounting of it, and running an amplifier. But if you want to buy some big bulky trucker radio, that's fine. As for me, I like my small Uniden 520XL, and hopefully I will someday get an amp so I can talk 40 miles away. (BTW, that wasn't a flame just my 2 cents. No hard feelings :) )

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bump

Does anyone have any advice about handheld CB radios?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Well, it appears that Bills 2Way is at least charging credit cards. I still haven't received any communication from them, but they charged my order yesterday.

Also, their prices seem cheap, but they have very high shipping prices. I could have paid MSRP at a truck stop or whatever and spent the exact same amount. If I were to do it again, I'd definitely avoid Bill's.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts