TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
Got a new CB radio to replace a piece of garbage that came with my truck when I bought it used. When I install this one, I would like to put it where the ash tray is. I've seen a few pics of it, and haven't seen any write-ups. Any ideas where I can find out or something of the sort?

Secondly, The previous guy had some ghetto rig for the antenna and I did my best to work with it but it's not cuttin' it. Any suggestions for an antenna setup/choice that will clear a garage door (when driving in...) and still be a good quality rugged antenna?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey man, we already have a discussion along these lines going - at least we did. Here's the link.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1389

I haven't actually done the install yet, I'm waiting for monday and the stores to open to go about getting one. I think I'm getting a firestik antenna and mounting it on my truckbox, not too sure about that one though.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Thanks! I didn't realize that when I first posted, but I soon after noticed. :D Thanks!

·
Registered
231 Posts
HoT_DoGgIN said:
Hey guys!
Got a new CB radio to replace a piece of garbage that came with my truck when I bought it used. When I install this one, I would like to put it where the ash tray is. I've seen a few pics of it, and haven't seen any write-ups. Any ideas where I can find out or something of the sort?

Secondly, The previous guy had some ghetto rig for the antenna and I did my best to work with it but it's not cuttin' it. Any suggestions for an antenna setup/choice that will clear a garage door (when driving in...) and still be a good quality rugged antenna?

Thanks guys!
Shouldnt be that hard of an isntall at all. The dash comes apart quite easily, and I just stuck the cb in the ash tray with double sided stick tape. Running the cable out to the bed isnt that hard at all (with an extra cab atleast) Just take of the plastic panel that runs along the door sill and then slide it into the storage compartment under the xtra cab seats. The gromet that goes outside the cab is right there.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
those tuneable antennas really make a difference??... i think i have a firestik now... can't tell for sure (i have a "screw up" tip on end... sorta covered by shrink wrap?, but how do you tune em' and what kind of performance gains does it offer for the extremes? (in setting?)

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
HoT_DoGgIN said:
those tuneable antennas really make a difference??... i think i have a firestik now... can't tell for sure (i have a "screw up" tip on end... sorta covered by shrink wrap?, but how do you tune em' and what kind of performance gains does it offer for the extremes? (in setting?)
If your SWR is too high (above 2.1) you'll damage your radio. thats what tuning is. read though this info, you'll learn all you need to know

http://www.alfenterprises.com/cbradio.html

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
You're right. The SWR needs to be as close to 1.0 for the frequency used most often.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm trying to bring this topic back up because I'm having some problems with my cb setup. Hopefully someone will read this and want to talk about this subject again. To start I have a Cobra 19DXIII, 18ft of RG-8X cable, Firestik stud mount and spring and a Wilson FGT antenna. The antenna is mounted on a Demello Bed Bar and my SWR is around 4!!!!!!!!! I've tried different coax, different stud mount, different radio, different antenna and nothing brings it down to an acceptable level. Just wanted to know if there was anyone else out there that has a bed bar with a cb antenna mounted on it and is having SWR problems and also what did you do to lower it. Thanks alot,
Steve

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
sounds like a bad ground. either run a seperate ground wire or make sure you have bare metal touching for a better ground

·
Registered
246 Posts
Vernon29RW said:
... and a Wilson FGT antenna. The antenna is mounted on a Demello Bed Bar and my SWR is around 4!!!!!!!!!
Have you addressed each item on this page? The very last item in particular is similar to a situation I once had trying to ground an antenna on a roof rack. I could not get the SWR to work and I was running a one-piece ground from the roof rack all the way to the frame (no-no). Make sure the bed bar is well grounded to the truck. You might also want to test for continuity using this guide.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts