TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Uniden 520XL installed in my '04 Tacoma Double Cab. I have a Firestik antenna and when I meter it I'm getting <2 SWR on all channels. When I am a few car lengths from other vehicles with radios, my transmission sounds great. However, when they are close to me, like a car length or so, the transmission is distorted and garbled.

Has anyone ever heard of bad transmission when close?

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
sk8n3rd said:
I have a Uniden 520XL installed in my '04 Tacoma Double Cab. I have a Firestik antenna and when I meter it I'm getting <2 SWR on all channels. When I am a few car lengths from other vehicles with radios, my transmission sounds great. However, when they are close to me, like a car length or so, the transmission is distorted and garbled.

Has anyone ever heard of bad transmission when close?
as in they are recieving you garbled or you are recieving them garbled?

if them, turn down your mic gain.
if you, have them turn down their gain ;)

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Correct..Fairly normal especially around someone that has a radio that has been "turned up"

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
TacoCrazy said:
Correct..Fairly normal especially around someone that has a radio that has been "turned up"
at 9-10w + a power mic I have to back everything way down when close to someone ;)

Showstop can actually melt nearby antennas with his setup, LOL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha ... Melt radios. LOL.

Thanks guys. I don't think my 520 has an output gain ... only the input gain. It's them hearing me garbled. I asked them about their gain - the have the handheld convertible Uniden - but they *thought* they didn't have an adjustment.

What's funny is I don't remember it being distorted close but clear far away until I changed out my coax because my old one was frayed. My radio was sounding like poo and I found my wire all shorted out.

It's not possible that my radio got fried and makes MORE power now is it? That doesn't seem logical.

·
Registered
285 Posts
sk8n3rd said:
...my 520 has an output gain ... only the input gain
I don't know about the 520 or input/output gain, but if you have an RF Gain control knob, then you should be able to adjust this to clear-up your signal.

Hope that helps

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
ShowStop said:
No, but I can light up fluroscent tubes with it. :D
O come on....'melting antennas' sounds much cooler :cool:

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I did that trick to a Thai guard at a LORAN station in Thailand once.
I got a big long 8ft fluorescent tube and held it up to a guy wire one night. It was pulling an arc at the end and you could see the pulse train traveling down the length of the tube into my outstretched arm. LOL that guy took off a runnin, screaming some gibberish all the way. He must have thought I was some kind of a devil or something. As a general rule, Thais are very superstitious.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
Dick Foster
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing