TTORA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking on purchasing a CB. I want one that fits under the Ashtray. So far I ahve heard of two of them. The Cobra 19DX III and the Uniden PRO510XL. I want one that has the PA Feature. What do you guys recommend? Also a good antenna. I have heard of the 4' Firestick. I need to get one by in my hands by Thursday. Where is a good place to get the Firestick. Do they come with a Mount if not what kind of mount should I get to work with the antenna?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
The 4' Firestik is the best. I recommend getting the whole mounting kit from Firestik. I used the hood bracket for the dodge dakota. Get at least 20' of coax cable.

Several of our members have been using a regular mirror mount bracket from RS and bolting it to the inside of the bed beside the tie down. Be sure to use a heavy duty spring. The coax cable will run up and under the bed rail and down through behind the taillight. From there it can run along the frame up to the cab and through the rubber grommet in the rear of the cab.

I used the dodge bracket because I usually have a tonneau cover on the bed.

There are more options. Be sure to keep the antenna at least 19" from the cab to reduce interference from the metal cab. The ideal location is top center of the cab, but that is not always practical.

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
The uniden 520XL is the model with the PA feature. I don't know where driftinCO got his information, but I have never heard that the CB needs to be 19" from the cab. I have heard that you should never buy less than 18" of coax, and if you get more, you should increase it my 3" incriments. Ideally, well...why don't you read up on some info and it might help answer some questions.
http://www.wwdx.org/cbstuff/63things.htm
http://www.alfenterprises.com/cb_radios/cb_antennas/firestik_library.htm

(I am running the Uniden520xl with a 3ft K40 antenna mounted front drivers side of the bed- not tie down- with 18" of RG-8X coax. It works excellently)

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
thanhnp said:
I am looking on purchasing a CB. I want one that fits under the Ashtray. So far I ahve heard of two of them. The Cobra 19DX III and the Uniden PRO510XL. I want one that has the PA Feature. What do you guys recommend? Also a good antenna. I have heard of the 4' Firestick. I need to get one by in my hands by Thursday. Where is a good place to get the Firestick. Do they come with a Mount if not what kind of mount should I get to work with the antenna?
I am running a cobra 75 wx st-
I like this because of its stealthiness

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm doing the same thing as you are, however there is also the option of putting the physical box in of a "normal" cb radio setup in place of the ash tray if you dont use it. Being a non smoker, this was my first preference. The ash try slips right out and the bracket for holding it in removes with only 2 screws, however there is a black plastic piece which you can see in the pic above in grillmasterp's post, that needs to be trimmed in a few places to allow a completley flush mount of the cb (atleast the one I have). You would be trimming for the CB coax and power lines from the radio, and that's about it.

If done this way, does anyone have any suggestions for how to mount the CB to the underside of this area so that it wont come out on its own, but can be removed with little or no work?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RENEGADE76254 said:
just my opinion but dont waste money on little radios, go ahead and get a good one and get a steel whip or a wilson 1000 magnet mount. just my .02
I know what you mean but I want to get one to fit under the Ashtray. It will only be used for when I go wheeling So between the two I mentioned, what do you all recommend. Or are there any other ones out there that are good and have the PA feature

1 - 10 of 10 Posts