TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl has a 03 Tacoma with the basic radio, and wants (me) to put in a factory CD player for a clean look and because they're cheap (used). What years will plug-and-play in her truck? And is it that simple, just unhook the plain one and plug in the CD unit? Or will I need a different wire harness or anything?

Thanks for any input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
The only things that you have to do are unscrew the old tape deck, pull it out, unplug it, plug in the new one, and screw it back in. I am not sure if the cd player changed in 2001 when the bodystyle changed, but I put a 98 in my 99. You should be able to put a 2001-2004 cd player in it.
 

·
Deal Master
Joined
·
2,773 Posts
The Toyota plugs have been pretty consistent from year to year
So you should be able to plug & play the units- I've only done it between 98 & 00
- One issue that might bug your GF may be mismatch between display color- orange vs. green- Pre 00 had green display, while the 01 went to the orange display
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,612 Posts
Don't make the mistake my Stealer made on mine. I got a 99 and when i bought it it had a basic radio and I was going to have them install the add on CD player in the second din location. Well turns out the add on CD player wont work with the basic radio. They ended up giving me a sony and taking out the crapy stock basic radio.
 

·
Deal Master
Joined
·
2,773 Posts
STOMPER said:
Don't make the mistake my Stealer made on mine. I got a 99 and when i bought it it had a basic radio and I was going to have them install the add on CD player in the second din location. Well turns out the add on CD player wont work with the basic radio. They ended up giving me a sony and taking out the crapy stock basic radio.
Didn't realize there was a distinction between basic & CD function radio- My fathers 98 2wd 5-lug non-SR5, No tach, manual windows came with the single DIN AM/FM cass & no CD player
I picked up a newer model CD player put it inplace of the storage pocket- PLug & play all the way
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Redbeard said:
My girl has a 03 Tacoma with the basic radio, and wants (me) to put in a factory CD player for a clean look and because they're cheap (used). What years will plug-and-play in her truck? And is it that simple, just unhook the plain one and plug in the CD unit? Or will I need a different wire harness or anything?

Thanks for any input.

most toyota radios will work. the ones that won't would be some out of camry's and SUV's. the thing to look for is if it had a premium sound system or not. (factory amp) as long as you stick with radios that came out of tacoma's or the lower end cars you should be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies! I was hoping it would be a simple swap.
By the way, if anyone has a stock CD player (01-up for the orange display) they want to part with, drop me an email.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
chopaholic said:
most toyota radios will work. the ones that won't would be some out of camry's and SUV's. the thing to look for is if it had a premium sound system or not. (factory amp) as long as you stick with radios that came out of tacoma's or the lower end cars you should be fine.
Is the 6 speaker SR5 radio a premium system (amp)?
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
scottnmos
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing
Top