TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what is causing a squeak in my rear end. It sounds like the center bearing because the reptitition of the noise is a lot faster than the wheels (wheel bearings). Should I take it somewhere and have it looked at and fixed, or could I do it myself. Any advice would be great. It is a 91 4x4 Dlx SB. 22RE. 5 Speed. Thanks

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Pretty simple to fix.. Buy a new one, pull the shafts , unbolt the bearing, bolt in new one, and put the shafts back on.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Its pretty easy to tell if its worn out. Grab ahold of the driveshaft and shake it, if there is play in the bearing then replace it. Its pretty easy to replace I just did mine on my Tacoma. If its never been replaced before than I would almost do it anyways from the regular maintance standpoint.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its pretty easy to tell if its worn out. Grab ahold of the driveshaft and shake it, if there is play in the bearing then replace it. Its pretty easy to replace I just did mine on my Tacoma. If its never been replaced before than I would almost do it anyways from the regular maintance standpoint.
Thanks for the tip. I checked and there was no play while trying to shake it. I know for a fact that it is not the wheel bearings. Could you tell me what it might be. I would really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Well it still maybe it but instead of the rubber being worn out that will let it move around the bearing itself maybe bad a squelling. I would change it anyways considering the age of the truck it should have been changed by now anyways. Or worst case senerio is that your pinion bearing is going out. Does your truck have a lift that will cause the pinion angle to be extreme where the bearing cannot get any oil. Or it even could be the ujoints are going bad. I mean we are over the internet so without being there or without more info we are just stabbing in the dark at what is wrong.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
If you're convinced it's a bearing and not the driveshaft carrier or wheel bearings, the only thing left are the pinion bearing and the diff carrier bearings... definitely something you want to truly troubleshoot/diagnose and be sure it's that before just replacing parts...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Currently i have no aftermarket lift on the truck, and i just drained and refilled the diff about 2 months ago so there should be plenty of oil. I just greased the u joints yesterday but the noise is still there. Is there any way I could check the pinion bearing with digging into it to much. Would it help if I could upload a video (sound) of the squeak. How hard is it to change out the center bearing. On a scale of 1-10. Could I do it in my driveway, and do i need any special tools foe the job.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Disconnect the driveshaft at the pinion flange and see if there is ANY play in the pinion. Jack up the rear of the truck and spin the pinion by hand and see if you can locate where the sound is coming from.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Currently i have no aftermarket lift on the truck, and i just drained and refilled the diff about 2 months ago so there should be plenty of oil. I just greased the u joints yesterday but the noise is still there. Is there any way I could check the pinion bearing with digging into it to much. Would it help if I could upload a video (sound) of the squeak. How hard is it to change out the center bearing. On a scale of 1-10. Could I do it in my driveway, and do i need any special tools foe the job.
Center bearing is pretty easy... 1 being the easiest and 10 the hardest I'd say it's maybe a 2, just depends how much wrenching experience you have. You'll need a vise and a socket to fit the nut. I just changed one out on an '85 because it was slap worn out. I forgot to put some grease around the lip seals that preserve the bearing inside, so had to take it all back apart again. Found the bearing from Auto Zone for $100 if I remember right, it was a Timken too.

Jack your truck up and spin a rear tire by hand (use jack stands) and get close enough to identify the source of the noise. Mine sounded like a nest of baby birds, the grease shut it right up though.

Good luck!! Hope you figure it out!!

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
need access to a vise, wheel puller, and torque wrench. But yeah I would say 2 or a 3 on difficulty. There is a write up in the FAQ on a tacoma but pretty sure its exactly the same steps, but would want to double check the torque specks on yours.

Yeah get the rear end on jack stands and crawl around moving and spinning everything and see if you can pin point the sound.

There is no easy way to inspect the pinion bearing without taking the diff apart. But you can check for play by removing the driveshaft and spin the flange and look for any play or resistance spots as it spins. Also just grab it and shake it good.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Also post on the GA board and see if one of the guys is near you that can help you out in finding the problem. Or if you are going to be coming thru Knoxville anytime soon.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts