TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a clarification question here. The center diff allows differential spin of the front and rear axles, right? On the wife's Runner, this can be locked out, to apply equal torque to front and rear. Does the Tacoma have a locked or open center diff, and how difficult would it be to set up a system like the 4-Runner?

·
Registered
565 Posts
It's open in the Tacoma.
But I love the locking ability in some Landcruisers I have driven.
I WISH ist was an option for the Tacoma, but I have not seen or heard about it being done.... :(

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, that thread gives me the impression the Taco is locked at the center. This is great for off road adventures, but can it be modified to work as an open diff for on road i.e. winter driving conditions? I seem to recall one of the SAS guys putting one of these on his truck a long time ago. What does a 4-Runner have that a Tacoma doesn't?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
JESSE_at_TLT said:
I don't know why I can't post a direct link to the thread, but visit the old TTORA forum and search for 'AWD Tacoma'.
You can post a link here, just highlight and copy the link you want to insert, then highlight some text in the post you're making, then click on the link on the toolbar above that looks like a a pic of the earth with two chain links under it.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
JESSE_at_TLT said:
for whatever reason when I cut-&-pasted the link it wouldn't link directly to that thread.
When you look at messages in Delphi, on the upper right corner of the message it says "1234.34 in response to 1234.23" or something like that. Click on the message number and you'll be taken to that specific URL. Copy that address and you'll be golden.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like I'ld have to give up the manual 4x shifting for push-button. I'm not convinced it's an ideal trade off, but it was a nice thought while it lasted.

·
Administrator
18,271 Posts
Breathegood said:
Just a clarification question here. The center diff allows differential spin of the front and rear axles, right? On the wife's Runner, this can be locked out, to apply equal torque to front and rear. Does the Tacoma have a locked or open center diff, and how difficult would it be to set up a system like the 4-Runner?
I don't think they changed anything with the 2005 models, but 1995-2004 all have locked center diffs (aka transfer).

·
Registered
84 Posts
DakotaTacoma said:
It's open in the Tacoma.

Is it? If it was open, the tires wouldn't chirp and bind during a sharp turn on dry pavement. I was under the impression that an open center differential is only needed on the full-time 4WD systems.

Someone set me straight...

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
ZR2Steve is right. The Tacoma transfer-case directs equal power to the front and rear axles when in 4WD (like a spool). The 4Runner multi-mode transfer-case is like a selectable locker. The 4th gen. 4Runners even have a Torsen limited-slip in the center diff. when in 4WD-Open, and then you can lock it for off-road use.

They are push-button only from what I understand, but what's the big deal? I'd take that trade-off any day. I really like the versatility of being able to run 2WD, 4WD Open (AWD) and 4WD-Locked. It would be awesome if there was a manually-shifted three-speed transfer-case available, but until then...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts