TTORA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 214k miles I'm noticing my center support bearing on the driveline is shot. I've read that the cheaper aftermarket replacements don't last long at all. Are there any exception to this? I prefer OEM but right now I'm really hoping not spend that much. I did find a source on Ebay, supposed to be genuine OEM at a price I would pay, and claims to be operating out of a dealership in Miami (Toyota of North Miami) but I have a real hard time trusting eBay sellers. That and shipping would take 1-2 weeks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,565 Posts
Everything you said is correct. The OEM last the longest, but are often 3-4 times the price of aftermarket. I've been running aftermarket and swapping it every couple of years. Hard wheeling kills those bushings.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Everything you said is correct. The OEM last the longest, but are often 3-4 times the price of aftermarket. I've been running aftermarket and swapping it every couple of years. Hard wheeling kills those bushings.
I pulled the trigger on the Spicer 211750-1X, it's supposed to show up tomorrow. It sounds like you have done the job a couple times...is a puller necessary for the flange removal or will it come off with the nut being backed off, then tapped(the nut)with a hammer?

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,565 Posts
I've had to use a puller once. Every other time it taps off just fine. Make sure to put the washers back on in the same order they were removed.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, so far I haven't been able to separate the rear shaft from the front shaft flange. I thought if I left everything else bolted up and just removed the 4 bolts that hold the two shafts together, that the slip on the rear would allow it to separate. No such luck, yet.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
A little more hammering got the shafts separated. The flange slid right off after the bolt was removed. There were 2 thin spacers between the flange and the bearing, does that seem right?? None on the other side of the bearing.

Also, this new support bearing cross references with the OEM part# but does not look the same. The external bracket part looks exactly the same, down to the K stamped in it, but there are differences in the rubber and bearing. The biggest difference has me wondering if I should even install it. The OEM has was looks like a rubber grease seal, the new one does not. Just metal.

On the Dana site, when the OEM part# for my truck is entered(37230-35130), the interchange part comes back as the one I bought, although it only lists Tundra in the application. At this point I have to believe that the interchange is wrong, and that they do not make a replacement for OEM part# 37230-35130. So nothing for an 02 4x4 Tacoma.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,565 Posts
Correct on the washers. Sometimes I see one on each side, sometimes both on the same. I think its to shim the bearing correctly. Just replace them the same way they were originally.

The Timken and Spicer center bushings both have that seal. I think it is for multiple compatiblity. I'm using the Timken and when installed correctly, the rubber boot setup doesn't have any effect. If you install it wrong, the boot rubs the driveshaft all the time.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Correct on the washers. Sometimes I see one on each side, sometimes both on the same. I think its to shim the bearing correctly. Just replace them the same way they were originally.

The Timken and Spicer center bushings both have that seal. I think it is for multiple compatiblity. I'm using the Timken and when installed correctly, the rubber boot setup doesn't have any effect. If you install it wrong, the boot rubs the driveshaft all the time.

It's weird, the parts diagram only shows one washer in that location. I'll put both since that's how it came from the factory.

I started looking at pictures of other brand bearings, and came to the conclusion that the style I recieved is used on RWD(2wd?) models only. Even the OEM bearing for RWD is like the Spicer I recieved, no rubber seal in the bore.
All the photos I found of the aftermarket bearings for 4wd have the rubber grease/dust seal inside, like my original part.......so I reluctantly ordered the OEM part, ouch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts