TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm right on the verge of wrapping my exhaust header and 6' exhaust tubing, and I thought I'd ask for some opinions. This is for my Unimog and it's a diesel with custom exhaust work for my turbo. My fear with wraps are that they might lead to a rust problem. My fear with coatings is the price!

Weigh in with your experiences and if you know of a reputable business in the Denver Metro Area (prefer Aurora) that can do the coatings, post that too. I would like to get a good cost comparison...

Bryan

Pics and my build thread are here.

·
#1 cruiser
3,660 Posts
To be honest, I don't have a personal experience. I know a few people who have the wraps. I have never heard of a rust problem from them or ever read anyone having that problem. The ceramic coating is cool but like you said the cost sucks. I don't know of anyone that has had that even done.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I had a manifold wrapped and it rusted. There's some silicon spray (?) you can put on the wrap to try to keep the problem at bay.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See my input is useless.
:rofl:

Not useless at all - it's an odd subject though, so trolling for experience is all I can hope for! A buddy emailed me and said he's had his entire turbo setup wrapped for 11 years with very little rust to mention.

This is the wrap I am looking at, manufacturer's info, and it says not to use silicone spray among other things. I think it's good stuff...

·
Registered
3,987 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
I went a cheap alternative but it worked well. I painted my cross over pipe with hi temp paint, then wrapped with DEI wrap and then since I noticed that the main failing of the wrap is how it breaks down with exposure to water, I coated it all with aluminum duct seam "tape". This has worked great, kept the water out, and looks like new after 25k miles. This is right down near ground level on my Subaru, but I do have an aftermarket skid plate that helps protect it from the elements

·
20,355 Posts
I would think that with the wrap rust would only be an issue if it got wet and then wasn't run long enough or often enough to evaporatwe the water off. But I don't have any personal experience.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
I have no experience with wraps so I wont comment there. But I can say that when I put my LCE headers on (ceramic coated) my engine definitely runs cooler. I dont notice on daily driving but when pulling passes with a loaded bed going camping ect it runs enough cooler to notice.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I also have used the wrap when I did my 3.4 swap and built my crossover pipe. I coated it with high temp paint from the local auto parts store then wrapped it with the DEI wrap from the parts store too. It worked great till my crossover decided to rip itself apart. I didnt have sufficient exhaust hangers in place and the movement of my exhaust ripped it apart.

Until then though I had no rust problems at all. If you do it that way, put at least 2 coats of paint on it and make sure you let it completely dry before wrapping it. I didn't wait long enough the first time and the wrap kind of got stuck to the wet paint. Works well IMO and way cheaper than coating it with ceramic.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I had my x-over pipe ceramic coated at Pristine Powder coating (http://www.pristinepc.com/).

I can't say one way or the other on how it compares, but that shop did a great job and was easy to work with.
Yep, Lee does great work. He has some heat-shedding coatings as well as standard ceramics. He did my ported E6 header on my old SVO in ceramic and it kept underhood temps noticeably down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts