TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gone through the search, but going on the theory that we're all a year older and wiser, is it chains or cables for a stock non-trd in northern VT snow. I've got nokians on it, but I'd like some insurance in the tool box.

·
Alumnus maximus
678 Posts
i have never used the cables, but they look shitty. id go with chains. we went thru many sets when i lived up there and plowed in the winter. make sure you have a good attachment method that is adjustable and keep them tight!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
u like the nokians in winter? i have a set of vatiivas for summer (m/s) and like them. couple people have said they arent good in winter. just wondering cause ive never run em in snow.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Neither. I lived in Lake Tahoe CA for two years and never used them. All they require is that you have 4wd and a set of suitable tires. If you want them for piece of mind, go with the chains. Cables liter the road ways everywhere down there because they break constantly.

·
Registered
933 Posts
chains are the way to go. I also lived in tahoe and only once in 4 years needed to put them on. Cables are junk, but can be purchased and thrown on a rental car to get you home from mammoth if need be. The benifit of cables is you can keep them on for 3 days after it snowed and still be able to drive on dry pavement (Tahoe Joke). You cant easily do that on chains. IE: Chains are better

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Responding to Darwink1-The Vatiivas have been more than adequate in the snow. I don't use them of road in the snow, just on roads covered in snow. They've gotten me to where I need to go. I also like their performance on rain soaked roads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts