TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ... to make a short story long;

Just before winter really hit here I was out in the mountains. The trail that I was on was relatively easy going 'till we were about one mile from our destination (Margaret Lake) when we ran into someone else on the trail. He was being held up by a few downed trees ... which he had a chainsaw for. We got out and were helping him clear the downed trees. He'd cut and we'd drag 'em out of the way. This lasted the whole rest of the way to the lake we were heading to. It was an unexpected piss off.

Luckily, it was a day trip and we did run into that guy with the chainsaw on the trail. I can't imagine how pissed I would have been had I been half way into a week long back country trip, or worse if we had been cut off from retreating by a tree that fell behind us.

The short of it is ... Can't afford a 400-500 Stihl or Husky. Ss there any inexpensive chainsaw that you can recommend? It would be used almost exclusively for downed trees on the trail, not cutting cords of firewood.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Don't go with anything but Stihl man, I've spent double on crap machines replacing them. If anything get a smaller one first.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
i'd say a good all around saw is a little Poulan! Sthils are pricey, but good saws...good luck

·
Registered
741 Posts
They had a 200 dollar husqy that i was looking at getting at sears in grants pass, Or. I thought it would be great for inside my truck.

I have a 272xp, its an older bigger saw but great for clearing land.

Austin

·
Registered
796 Posts
Smaller Stihls are usually in the $250 range.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
i got a smokin deal on my baby sthil and it does great.

if you cant find a deal on a chain saw why not just pack a bow saw in the truck. not as fast as the chain saw but with a little elbow grease itll get the job done and get you home.

D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Stihl MS 180 C can be had for under $250. I found a deal on one for $189+tax last year. It comes standard with a 14 inch bar and is a very capable all-around saw to carry in your truck. I have an 036 Pro, 025, 029, and a Stihl HT75 pole saw. IMHO there is none better than Stihl, but if you must look elsewhere-Husqvarna is a near equal. I have owned McCollough, Poulan and Echo-they are all worthless as far as I am concerned. I have used Stihl 088's, 066's, 044's, 036, 029, 025, MS180C, 018(lightweight) and HT75-I can honestly say that I have never had to pull a rope on a Stihl more than three times to get one to start- and most start in two pulls. From a cold start a Stihl will rumble at full choke with first pull, then place choke in "Run" position and it WILL start on the next pull-nearly guaranteed...

The MS180C is a nice saw, is relatively lightweight and has enough power to cut through mesquite and other hardwoods with ease. The bigger the saw, the more power and the faster you can cut, but for a carry saw-the balance between weight and power is what I look for. The MS180C weighs less than 9lbs., has a side tensioner for the chain-eliminating the need to carry a wrench for simple tension adjustments, is around 31-33CC, it is just a good saw-plain and simple.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I bought a used "Wild Thing" Poulon with a 14" bar and have put it through some Shiat. It's probably in the need of letting it roll over and die. So I'm thinking a Shtil next. I'm just not sure if I want or need to go with a bigger bar next time.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I do have some gift certificates for a place that carries Poulan. Out of pocket cost for me would be around 40 bucks. Should I still hold out for a Stihl?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Check a Stihl or Husky dealer and they often have refurbished used saws. Perfect your occasional use.

Even though you do not use the saw often, when you do use it you need the Hp of a mid size saw.

... and don't forget an ax for when you pinch the bar.

Chaps, gloves and a visor are also highly recommended. Especially if you are in experienced.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I have gone through many cheap saws. I am going to throw in another vote for Stihl. I am not too partial for Husky myself. Parts are sometimes a PITA for me to get, unlike Stihl, and every Husky that gets abused like I do with my Stihls, has to go in the shop more than you would think.

For the record, I have put 4 "Wild Thangs" to sleep within the first few weeks of use. One was in 3 days. I didnt buy them, and I told the people who did not to also.

When buying a chainsaw, get a good one. If you cheap out you will regret it one day. I can promise you that. I know people that run 25 year old stihls and use them once a week.

Use good bar oil, 2 cycle oil, and keep a sharp chain. A dealer will have all of these items for you. You can get a sharpening kit for a 3/8 chain for around $20.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Chainsaw

So my father inlaw works in a saw repair shop. He said he very rarely see's any stihls but is constantly working on huskys. My experience is with both doing salmon restoration ie. cuttin up trees and putin them in waterways. We used both but the stihls are way more durable(less plastic). Huskys always worked well but we maintained them daily do to workin in the wet/rainy woods of Humboldt (REDWOODS). Me personally would go with the stihl better all around saw. My Farmboss does everything I need it for. Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well, I'd say save up and get a good saw! I'd reccomend stihl or husqvarna. It seems like a lot of guys are downing Huskys, but I actually like them! I do back in the day a logger friend said stihls lasted longer, but I don't know if the newer one's are better. Anyways, I'm really happy with the Husqvarna 372 XP with a 20" bar. That's way too much saw for your application, but for firewood cutting it's awesome!!

·
Registered
529 Posts
The loggers I work with are split on Husky vs Stihl

They say husky's are lighter so there is less fatigue carrying it in the bush all day.

Others prefer the Stihls because of less vibration.

If you are carrying it in your truck to cut the occasional windfall, neither is a big concern for you.

Take your pick, but as I said above, look for a refurbished one from a dealer and you'll save money.

A length of good chain with a choker hook on one end is handy for skidding them out of the way.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Husky or Stihl...but...and a big but it is ;)
stick with either the XP versions of Husky or the even# Stihls.
why? those are the 'pro' models; the others are 'home' saws meant to be used a couple weekends a year.

IMO the best trail saw out there right now is the 346xp Husky. get a 16" bar and swap out the rim sprocket to an 8tooth.
If you really wanna go nuts have Danny Henry build the thing...mine is awesome :D keeps right up with a 266xp.

for larger saws? get an older 066 Magnum with the dual-port muffler...wouldn't use another saw...got two of them ;)

check ebay and craigslist. I got my 2nd 66 for dirt cheap and got the 346 for well under regular price.

the other tool I always carry is a Peavy ;)

I usually still take one of the 066s with a 24" bar on wheeling trips cuz ya never know when you'll run into this...

·
Registered
472 Posts
Husky or Stihl. I'm partial to the Huskys. Both my dad and my grandpa have run them for years. My grandpa wouldn't run anything else. And they both never had any real issues other than regular maintenance. I still run my dads 14" husky every once in a while. He's had it sense the late 80's early 90's and it still fires right up every time.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
i run a husky farm tough 20 incher, cuts locust like theres no tomarrow, never runs out of power and very fuel effeient.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts